5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 7:36 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i3SYH antenna wire connection?

ednaz

Managed to disconnect the antenna wires.  All the other questions about this are about older board designs, so not terribly helpful.

there's a light colored wire and a dark one.  which one should be connected to which side of the wireless chip?

A picture of the board, in the instructions, with the wires in place, would save a thousand questions.  I can't be the only person who manages to disconnect the press on connections.

• 1. Re: NUC6i3SYH antenna wire connection?
          JamesU

nuc6i5syh_components_installed.jpg

Found this image online.  It's a Gen 6 i5, but should be the same layout, I think.

Technically, with modern 2x2 MIMO, both antennas perform the same work, so in most cases it doesn't matter if they get switched.  In the older generations of pre-MIMO 802.11, there was a Main and Aux where the Aux was receive only.  If the antennas weren't "equivalent in performance" it would matter how they got connected, but in most cases those days are behind us.

Thanks

• 2. Re: NUC6i3SYH antenna wire connection?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Thanks JamesU for taken your time to share that picture with us, ednaz does the picture above work for you?

Regards,

Ivan

• 3. Re: NUC6i3SYH antenna wire connection?
              ednaz

Perfect, JamesU.  I'd found some pictures of older boxes, and once I figured out what the comm chip looks like in my system, I thought I'd try to connect the wires based on what the varying lengths seemed to suggest.  Did that... got your reply which confirmed that 1) I'd found the right chip to attach to, and 2) that re-attaching the wires based on what the lengths suggested was also a decent strategy.  That black wire looping up and around is exactly what I thought must be going on, so it's how I'd attached it.

That's a funny style of connector for the antennas.  I'd think a relatively small bump could bust them loose.  But I'm not THAT kind of engineer.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: NUC6i3SYH antenna wire connection?
                ednaz

That was exactly what I needed... I'd already figured it out correctly by intuition, old pictures, and logic, but the picture sure did make me comfortable that my guessing was on target.

It would be awesome if Intel supplied photo-style images of the major mount points and connections.  The one set of images on connecting an m.2 drive are oddly impressionistic.

• 5. Re: NUC6i3SYH antenna wire connection?
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

I'm glad that the information provided above was useful for you and thank you for taking your time to let us know.

We will take your feedback into consideration.

Thank you,

Ivan