14 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 10:40 AM by Prashanth93

cant use ./flashall.sh

Prashanth93

hi everyone,

i need some help, im getting errors trying to flash the custom linux image by running the ./flashall.sh in the /edison-src/out/linux64/build/toFlash directroy.

the command that i use is : sudo ./flashall.sh

I am getting error messages like : timed out while waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

at first i thought its because i dont have the dfu-utill, so i got got the dfu-utill using commands sudo apt-get install dfu-utill.

and im still getting the same error message.

how do i overcome this ?

p.s. i am doing this compilation and flashing in ubuntu running in virtualbox

---------------------this is the full error message im getting ------------------------------------------

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Timed out while waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

DEBUG: lsusb

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 8087:0a9e Intel Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

DEBUG: dfu-util -l

dfu-util 0.5

(C) 2005-2008 by Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.

(C) 2010-2011 Tormod Volden (DfuSe support)

This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

dfu-util does currently only support DFU version 1.0

Did you plug and reboot your board?

If yes, please try a recovery by calling this script with the --recovery option

prashanth@prashanth-VirtualBox:~/Documents/edison-src/out/linux64/build/toFlash$

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

If the flashall method failed you can try to flash using the Flash Tool lite https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/flash-tool-lite-user-manual .

Sometimes the flashing is not finished successfully because of the cables used, so try using different USB cables. Remember that you have to follow the instructions of plugging and rebooting the board at the time the log calls for it. Have you tried using a different OS, what OS version are you using to run the flashall?

Sergio

• 2. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
            harishchandra

Hi,

First let me know what version of Ubuntu are you using is it 12.02 or 14.04?

Please cross check dfu-util is properly installeed,then proceed with ./flashall.sh script.points to remember while flashing.

1.Check uart connection and the device file by using fdisk -l command.

2.Check dfu-util is properly installed.

3.Reboot option if obtained while running ./flashall.sh then dfu-util is installed and make sure you reboot device by pressing reset button on edison board.

• 3. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
              Prashanth93

hi harish chandra

thanks for the reply, i am using ubuntu 14.04 on virtualbox, how do i check if dfu-util is properly installed, as i have installed dfu-util using the sudo apt-get command, and there is a reboot option, however the is no --keep-data option to keep the user data.

• 4. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                harishchandra

Hi ,

What do you mean by --keep-data in linux I am not clear,but tell me whether you are able to see "Plugin the device and reboot it ".If you are able to see this then what is the error you are getting when running flashall.sh script.Can you print the messages while you are running flashall.sh script.

--Harish.

• 5. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                  Prashanth93

thanks harish

by "--keep-data", its by following this tutorial Creating a Custom Linux Kernel for the Edison (release 2.1) | Shawn Hymel

it seems that i am still getting the same error message even when i plug in and reboot by clicking the RESET button.

---------------------------------------------here is the complete error message along with the script i ran with on the linux terminal--------------------------------

prashanth@prashanth-VirtualBox:~$ pwd

/home/prashanth

prashanth@prashanth-VirtualBox:~$ cd Documents/

prashanth@prashanth-VirtualBox:~/Documents$ cd edison-src/out/linux64/build/toFlash/

prashanth@prashanth-VirtualBox:~/Documents/edison-src/out/linux64/build/toFlash$ ./flashall.sh

Using U-Boot target: edison-blankcdc

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Timed out while waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

DEBUG: lsusb

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a9e Intel Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

DEBUG: dfu-util -l

dfu-util 0.5

(C) 2005-2008 by Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.

(C) 2010-2011 Tormod Volden (DfuSe support)

This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

dfu-util does currently only support DFU version 1.0

Did you plug and reboot your board?

If yes, please try a recovery by calling this script with the --recovery option

prashanth@prashanth-VirtualBox:~/Documents/edison-src/out/linux64/build/toFlash$

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 6. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                    Prashanth93

Hi sergio

ive also been trying to install the phoneflashtoollite hoe ever every time i try to install it either using the Ubuntu software center or the command line im getting

errors for example if i use the command line using the commands :

sudo gdebi phoneflashtoollite_5.3.2.0_linux_x86_64.deb

i get :

gdebi error, file not found: phoneflashtoollite_5.3.2.0_linux_x86_64.deb

or if i use the Ubuntu software center

phonetoolliteerror1.png

and when i click on forward i get

phoneflashtoolliteerror2.png

hope you can help

thanks

prashanth

• 7. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                      harishchandra

Hi Prashanth,

Try doing this in command line by root user I guess that should work.Check for Intel propritorys if this error comes.

--Harish.

• 8. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                        harishchandra

Hi prashanth,

I dont understand why you need userdata,since you are using --keep-data option and its a new flash to the board.you can just boot device usning flash script without any keep data option.If any user data required you can take backup.

--Harish.

• 9. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                          Prashanth93

hi harishchandra

i dont get what you mean by "Try doing this in command line by root user I guess that should work.Check for Intel propritorys if this error comes." as i've been using "sudo gdebi phoneflashtoollite_5.3.2.0_linux_x86_64.deb"

and i still get

"gdebi error, file not found: phoneflashtoollite_5.3.2.0_linux_x86_64.deb" this error message.

true i dont need to use "--keep-data" as i could just back it up, it was just a curiosity to me after following the tutorial, as to why i dont have that option. i thought it could mean that i have some other interrelated problems

thanks prashanth

• 10. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                            harishchandra

Hi Prashanth,

gdebi will install remote repos can you cross check whether the .deb file is available in the path where you are running this command.

--Harish.

• 11. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                              harishchandra

I missed question mark in above reply.

gdebi will install remote repos?can you cross check whether the .deb file is available in the path where you are running this command.

--Harish.

• 12. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                                Prashanth93

hi harish

i did a work around on this, and it worked.

what i did was since i was using the virtualbox runnig a ubuntu 14.04 on a windows 10 host machine. i copied the toFlash folder in Virtualbox ubuntuinto a virtualbox shared folder with my windows 10 so i could access it on my windows 10 host. then i downloaded the flashtoollite for windows application and also reinstalled the inteledisondriversetup.exe, since i reformatted my computer (my guess is this is the reason why i couldnt run flashall.sh on my virtualbox, however i tried flashing on the VM ubuntu but i still cant, maybe because i havent rebooted my computer).

I am able to flash the edison using this unorthodox method however i am not sure that if it causes any future problems, like i am currently facing some problems connecting with my computers hostednetwork hotspot, which i did not face before flashing it this way.

and is there any reason why flashall.sh dodnt work on an virtualbox ubuntu?

• 13. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                                  harishchandra

Great Prashanth.I appreciate for what you understood and for the workaround.

--Harish.

• 14. Re: cant use ./flashall.sh
                                    Prashanth93

thanks a million Harish, couldn't have done it without your help

prashanth