14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 7:22 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself

simov

I have Intel NUC6i3SYK and Ubuntu-GNOME installed on it, which is an official flavor of Ubuntu with pre-installed Gnome desktop environment. Everything else is pretty much the same as Ubuntu and the versions for both distros are released at the same time.

I bought the NUC in February and I used with Ubuntu-Gnome 15.10 (kernel 4.2.x) and the with default BIOS that it comes with 0024, all defaults.

Everything installs normally and works pretty good, until I start using some more GPU demanding tasks, at least that's my only clue. These tasks can be really trivial ones, but I noticed that with certain tasks I can get the NUC freeze (for 10 seconds) and reboot itself in no time. I'm usually running a few demos from the Chrome Experiments website that usually utilize WebGL features that heavily depend on the GPU.

The NUC is not overheating, and like I said the sudden freeze can happen in any case, but if I have only one tab open in my web browser and I don't navigate to pages containing GIFs, Video etc, I can use for hours probably.

The first suggestion found in this forum was to install the official Intel Graphics Drivers for Linux that are especially designed for Ubuntu 15.10. However that does not solved the issue, so I decided to wait for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Unfortunately with Ubuntu-Gnome 16.04 LTS (kernel 4.4.x) I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Another suggestion found in this forum was to install the latest BIOS 0042, however that does not solve the issue either. The latest Ubuntu-Gnome ships with experimental support for Wayland (the little gear button on the login screen) which is somewhat newer display server protocol aimed to replace X. I heard that it have some better support for GPUs, but unfortunately the same issue appeared again.

So at this point I'm out of options, though I'm assuming it's not a hardware problem. It might not be GPU driver related either, but that's my best clue like I said.

My full configuration:

- Kingston Value RAM 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz

- Kingston M.2 2280 120GB

I'm attaching a picture of the bottom of the NUC for serial numbers information.

• 1. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Simov,

To better assist you, please provide the following,

When did you notice that the issue starts?
          When the issue comes up, were you using a specific app?
          Have you try by setting load defaults on the BIOS?

This is the list of Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products,Please be aware that these operating system versions have been reported as compatible by owners of Intel® NUC Boards and Kits. Intel hasn't validated these operating systems. We recommend you use the latest kernel. If you need assistance with Linux* on NUC, check your distro's website and forums for peer assistance.
          http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards/000005628.html

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
            simov

Hi Hellen,

I just installed Windows 8.1 with latest updates and the official drivers from your website. I'm getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR!

I'm copy/pasting a few paragraphs for you from that link:

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

This bug check is typically related to physical hardware failures. It can be heat related, defective hardware, memory or even a processor that is beginning to fail or has failed. If over-clocking has been enabled, try disabling it. Confirm that any cooling systems such as fans are functional. Run system diagnostics to confirm that the system memory is not defective. It is less likely, but possible that a driver is causing the hardware to fail with this bug check.

So it seems that it's not a driver problem after all.

Now onto your questions:

The BIOS was always set to defaults. Let me know if I have to tweak something.

Steps to reproduce the system freeze and reboot:

1. Take some NUC6i3SYK.
            2. Install the latest Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS with LTS Kernel 4.4.x released on 10 January 2016 / or Windows 8.1 with latest updates and drivers
            3. Navigate to Chrome Experiments
            4. Click on a few demos. It usually takes a few seconds to a minute.

I'm not watching WebGL demos all the time, but that's a quick way to reproduce the behavior. It can happen at any time. Initially I used the NUC for about three weeks, I bought in February. I think it was working in the beginning, but it gradually started to freeze and reboot up to a point where I was no longer able to use it.

• 3. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
              simov

Tomorrow I'm going to return my NUC to the local shop that I bought it from. After that they are going to send it to the Intel's authorized distributor for my country. Will let you know when I have more news on that. According to this thread WHEA Errors on Skylake NUCs NUC6i5SYK/H and NUC6i3SYK/H my NUC is probably damaged by the BIOS used prior upgrading it to 0042, because I bought it and used it in February.

• 4. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                Intel Corporation

Hi Simov,

I apologize for the inconvenience with the NUC; also thanks for the information about, please let me know when you receive the replacement and if it works fine.

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Simov,

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if there is any update on this, if there is anything else you need, do not heisted to contact us back.

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                    simov

Hi Hellen,

I sent the NUC back on 17th of May, but in my case in must go through the Support Service of the Authorized Distributor first. They have 30 day period to resolve the issue, of course I informed them in great detail about everything I know from this forum, so I expect from them to return the NUC back to you.

That's the company that imports Intel products for Bulgaria - MOST Computers

I'll let you know when I have response from them.

• 7. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Simov,

Thanks for the update, I will be glad to know the outcome on this.

Regards,
                      Hellen.

• 8. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                        simov

I just received my replacement NUC, it's still a -502 product number, produced in Mart 2016, and it came with BIOS 0024. I immediately flashed it to 0044. Currently it's working, but I'll have to use it for a longer period just to be sure

Anyway, I'm closing this issue, hopefully this solves it for me.

• 9. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Simov,

I am glad that your NUC is working; if there is anything else you need, do not heisted to contact us back.

Regards,
                          Hellen.

• 10. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                            Damyan

Hello,

I have very similar issue with my NUC6I3SYK - i3-6100U and until last Thursday, it worked just fine with Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS.

My configuration is as follows:

1x NUC6I3SYK

2x Kingston 4GB DDR4 SODIMM 260-pin

1x A-Data 250GB SSD

So let me explain. On Thursday I lost connectivity to the NUC. The LED was in solid blue color as usual, so I logged in to my router, but the NUC has gone from the active clients.

I have tried to restart them both ( the router and the NUC ) few times with no success. Of course I decided that it can be a network related issue, but it wasn't. To be sure I connected

the NUC with a HDMI cable to my TV - nothing appears, after rebooting it few times, connected the NUC with another HDMI cable to one of my desktop monitors and again - no signal and stand by mode.

Then I have started to search in google and found that there is a BIOS update which can be installed with a USB flash drive and the method doesn't require some kind of visual contact (BIOS Recovery Update)

and this is what I did - opened the chassis, removed the secure jumper, inserted USB drive which contained SY0054.bio and started the NUC. The TV has woken up and the BIOS update screen appeared.

20161028_221056.jpg

The procedure has completed successfully and I completely powered off the system, returned the jumper back to its previous position. Then logged in to the BIOS and reset all settings to their defaults. After that tried to boot my existing linux and the strange behavior appears...

Sometimes I was able to boot the linux and few seconds later I received unexpected kernel panic and sometimes got kernel panic during the boot. The behavior was like the simov's one. Freeze for around 10 seconds and reboot.

20161028_222345.jpg

Then decided to install a new linux and even more - tried different operating systems - the same ubuntu version, newer ubuntu (16.10), windows 10, vmware esxi.

They all failed to install due to a hardware issue visualized in different ways. Of course tried with different USB flash drives ( Kingston & Silicon power if it matters )

Also tried to remove one of the ram chips, then the other one, moved each chip to a different slot, removed the SSD. I'm not sure but think it is not video related issue, because

it freezes randomly on different states. For example - during the ubuntu disk check for defects... (10 seconds freeze and reboot...) and of course I made the same check with the

same USB flash drive on my desktop computer and it completed flawlessly. I spent two days and really don't know what happens and I will contact the store where I bought my NUC for quick replacement.

20161029_174454.jpg

• 11. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Damyan,

I am sorry to hear you are getting this freezes/BSOD and panic attacks in your Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i3SYK

At this point, I believe you are in a good path (check warranty options) due to the fact that plenty of troubleshooting was done, this could be a faulty unit.

Thank you for letting us know about this as well as all the information provided.

In case you require any further support, feel free to reach us out

Regards,
                              Esteban C

• 12. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                                Damyan

Hi Esteban,

Just one more thing...

I'm wondering about the BIOS reset.

Should it reset the datetime settings? Because in my case, they are always accurate (even after F9/F10 reset with no jumper and 1-2 position)...

Regards.

• 13. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                                  N.Scott.Pearson

The date and time are maintained in hardware by the CMOS component and the backup (coin) battery ensures that it doesn't lose its values when the NUC is powered off. Upgrading or downgrading the BIOS won't affect the date and time. If you do a CMOS Clear, however, this will wipe out the date and time and you will have to reset it from within BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).

...S

• 14. Re: NUC6i3SYK with Ubuntu - system freezes for 10 seconds and reboots itself
                                    Intel Corporation

Thank you, Scott for the accurate answer!

If you require further support, feel free to let us know, Damyan.

Regards,
                                    Esteban C