Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

How do I set up dual monitors with Intel HD 4600 graphics card and different cables?

NCoff
Beginner

I have two monitors that are not the same. One is a Dell s2340l with a VGA >> VGA cable and the other is an HP LP2065 which has two ports and I have the following cables attached to it: DVI-VGA and DVI-DVI.

I just got a One HD15 M to Two HD15 F SXGA Monitor Y-Cable (see example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=916641&gclid=CPeA_trIzswCFQqKaQodKFAE5Q&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q= B&H Photo Video) with the intent to connect dual monitors in the following way:

Dell monitor: VGA:VGA cable > VGA splitter

HP monitor: DVI:VGA cable > VGA splitter

and then the VGA splitter goes in to the back of my Intel HD 4600 graphics card in a VGA port. so it is essentially all VGA except for the port in the back of the HD monitor.

When I plug each in individually to the Intel HD 4600 card port the monitor is recognized in the Device Manager (this is Windows 10).

However, when I connect them all to the VGA splitter and connect to the Intel HD 4600 graphics card VGA port my device manager does not recognize dual monitors and just displays 'generic P2P monitor' in the device manager.

Please advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello, nathancoffey:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

In this case, unfortunately, we cannot make sure this adapter is going to work properly, the best way to go would be with to use straight connections or use an active splitter.

There are pasive (like yours) and active adapters, with an active video splitter that are more chances of you getting this to work, due to the fact that they actively split the signal and send it through the 2 cables.

Hope this information provides you with a clearer overview of this scenario.

I look forward to your outcome while testing other splitters, active splitter or straight connections if available.

Regards,

Esteban C

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, nathancoffey:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

In this case, unfortunately, we cannot make sure this adapter is going to work properly, the best way to go would be with to use straight connections or use an active splitter.

There are pasive (like yours) and active adapters, with an active video splitter that are more chances of you getting this to work, due to the fact that they actively split the signal and send it through the 2 cables.

Hope this information provides you with a clearer overview of this scenario.

I look forward to your outcome while testing other splitters, active splitter or straight connections if available.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NCoff
Beginner

So you are saying that my splitter that I just got (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6J13292028&cm_re=dual_vga_splitter-_-9SIA6J13292028-_-Product VGA SVGA Male to 2 Dual Female Y Adapter Splitter Cable - Newegg.com) won't work with this graphics card even if I had two identical monitors??

Furthermore, you are saying that your product, the Intel HD 4600 graphics card will never work with a passive splitter solution and you cannot promise me that it will even work with an active splitter solution?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

nathancoffey:

I would like to check, is the device that you are currently using a laptop?

If that is the case, what happens if you set the configuration to send the image only to the two external monitors?

In regards to the use of adapters, there are plenty of adapters on the market right know and it would be difficult to test them all, for that reason, we cannot make sure that they are going to work as desired, there is a chance it can work though.

Additionally, an active splitter/adaptor will provide you with more chances of getting that to work.

I look froward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NCoff
Beginner

Esteban -

No it is not a laptop. I recently purchased a desktop from Dell that came with your video card (HD 6400).

Do you have any active spltters that you recommend which will work with this product, can you point me to any links?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

nathancoffey, thank you for the clarification on that, from our end as mentioned before, the different splitters or adapters available in the market haven't been tested, for that reason we cannot make sure they are going to work fine.

However, the manufacturer of your device sells an splitter, that splitter probably was tested by them so you can try it out.

It is more expensive than the one you have (pasive) so it would be good to contact the OEM directly before making the purchase so you can be more confortable with the purchase.

Additionally, You can ask them about the use of splitters with their systems, chances are that they can provide you with more options in terms of splitters to be used.

This is the splitter I found: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A4428982 http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A4428982

Their support page: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04 http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Phone: +1 800-624-9897

I look forward to hearing from you and the outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, nathancoffey:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to get recommendations on the splitter to be used with your system.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
NCoff
Beginner

I talked with Dell and they suggested that I have to buy an additional video card to connect the HP monitor to.

Blah!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for letting us know about this nathancoffey.

Intel is aware of the limitations of the Intel® HD Graphics while using analog (VGA) splitters (not fully supported to be used), due to the nature of the technology for this platform.

Some splitters that we know that work would be for DisplayPort (there is no an official list of splitters that would work on this though).

Due to the fact that the manufacturer that integrated this device is the one recommending to get an additional video card, I guess that is the best option for you on this scenario.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was checking this thread and wondered if you were able to follow the recommendations from Dell.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos