14 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2016 2:57 AM by AlexT_Intel

Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315

FerryT

Has anybody successfully built iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315 yet?

I get a few warnings:

WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-16.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.

WARNING: No recipes available for:

/home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/../poky/meta-intel-iot-devkit/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto-quark_3.8.bbappend

WARNING: Failed to fetch URL http://zlib.net/pigz/pigz-2.3.1.tar.gz, attempting MIRRORS if available

WARNING: Failed to fetch URL ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/base-passwd/base-passwd_3.5.29.tar.gz, attempting MIRRORS if available

WARNING: Failed to fetch URL http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/libpng/libpng16/1.6.13/libpng-1.6.13.tar.xz, attempting MIRRORS if available

WARNING: QA Issue: cacao-native: configure was passed unrecognised options: --with-classpath-libdir --with-classpath-includedir --with-classpath-classes [unknown-configure-option]

and an error:

ERROR: Function failed: do_configure (log file is located at /home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.1.0-r0/temp/log.do_configure.10823)

ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.1.0-r0/temp/log.do_configure.10823

Log data follows:

| DEBUG: Executing python function sysroot_cleansstate

| DEBUG: Python function sysroot_cleansstate finished

| DEBUG: Executing shell function autotools_preconfigure

| DEBUG: Shell function autotools_preconfigure finished

| DEBUG: Executing python function autotools_copy_aclocals

| DEBUG: Python function autotools_copy_aclocals finished

| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_configure

|

| ERROR: User requested feature sdl

|        configure was not able to find it.

|        Install SDL devel

|

| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.

| ERROR: Function failed: do_configure (log file is located at /home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.1.0-r0/temp/log.do_configure.10823)

ERROR: Task 2347 (virtual:native:/home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/../poky/meta/recipes-devtools/qemu/qemu_2.1.0.bb, do_configure) failed with exit code '1'

Does anyone which sdl development library is missing?

I'm surprised that that it requires sdl (native) since I am building for Edison:

Build Configuration:

BB_VERSION        = "1.24.0"

BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"

NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Ubuntu-16.04"

TARGET_SYS        = "i586-poky-linux"

MACHINE           = "edison"

DISTRO            = "poky-edison"

DISTRO_VERSION    = "1.7.3"

TUNE_FEATURES     = "m32 core2"

TARGET_FPU        = ""

meta             

meta-intel-arduino

meta-intel-edison-bsp

meta-intel-edison-distro

meta-intel-iot-devkit

meta-intel-iot-middleware

meta-java        

meta-oic         

meta-filesystems 

meta-networking  

meta-oe          

meta-python      

meta-ruby        

meta-webserver   

meta-yocto       

meta-yocto-bsp    = "<unknown>:<unknown>"

• 1. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
          xbolshe

Try

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev

BR,

xbolshe

• 2. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
            FerryT

Yeah, no. I already have that on my system.

Along with libsdl2-dev. No other libsdl dev files.

(further libsdl-image1.2, libsdl1.2debian and libsdl2-2.0-0, but I don't think I'm missing the binaries)

• 3. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

What steps have you followed so far? Are you following http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005616.html to build? Have you added any additional changes to what’s already on the BSP guide?

It’s also important to notice the first warning message shown:
              “WARNING: Host distribution "Ubuntu-16.04" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.”

Have you tried to build using another distribution, preferably Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10?

Sergio

• 4. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                FerryT

Hi Sergio,

I was building these new sources on a machine, on which in the past I already successfully built the previous version. Note that the instructions you linked are for that previous version.

Now I just downloaded the new sources and followed the readme in the root folder:

# Building the edison image

unzip iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315.zip

cd iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/poky/

source oe-init-build-env ../build_edison/

bitbake edison-image u-boot

../poky/meta-intel-edison/utils/flash/postBuild.sh .

zip -r toFlash.zip toFlash

• 5. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

And do you still see the error above or was the build successful?

Sergio

• 6. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                    FerryT

Sergio,

Of course the problem is that it doesn't build when I follow the instructions.

My question is: which package to install as I already have libsdl1.2-dev  installed.

• 7. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                      AlexT_Intel

The configure script essentially tries to find the library by first using pkg-config and then sdl-config utilities. QEMU 2.1.0 is about two years old, so it may very well be the case that in Ubuntu 16 they've changed the library name in a way that's not backwards-compatible.

In general, if Yocto complains that your distro is unsupported and everything works fine - that may be ignored, but if something fails, that would be by #1 thing to check, I've seen that all too often being a problem.

EDIT: oh and I'm going to build the image, just need to set up a couple of things before that. I'll post back when I have it building or failing.

• 8. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                        FerryT

Yes, I found out that it is looking for sdl-config. And I have that in my path.

Something else must be wrong.

I found that when I change local.conf and comment out:

#PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl"

#PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"

#ASSUME_PROVIDED += "libsdl-native"

, this problem goes away.

I don't understand why it's trying to build for the qemu target, I don't want/need that. I put in auto.conf:

DISTRO = "poky-edison"

MACHINE = "edison"

Anyway it continues a lot further and then errors:

Making all in gtk-demo

make[4]: Entering directory '/home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/gtk+/2.24.24-r0/build/demos/gtk-demo'

(here=`pwd` ; cd /home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/gtk+/2.24.24-r0/gtk+-2.24.24/demos/gtk-demo && /usr/bin/perl $here/geninclude.pl appwindow.c assistant.c builder.c button_box.c changedisplay.c clipboard.c colorsel.c combobox.c dialog.c drawingarea.c editable_cells.c entry_buffer.c entry_completion.c expander.c hypertext.c iconview.c iconview_edit.c images.c infobar.c links.c list_store.c menus.c offscreen_window.c offscreen_window2.c panes.c pickers.c pixbufs.c printing.c rotated_text.c search_entry.c sizegroup.c spinner.c stock_browser.c textview.c textscroll.c toolpalette.c tree_store.c ui_manager.c) > demos.h

Can't use 'defined(@array)' (Maybe you should just omit the defined()?) at /home/ferry/tmp/edison-intel/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/tmp/work/core2-32-poky-linux/gtk+/2.24.24-r0/build/demos/gtk-demo/geninclude.pl line 43.

Makefile:1022: recipe for target 'demos.h' failed

make[4]: *** [demos.h] Error 255

• 9. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                          FerryT

Did anyone notice that it still builds kernel 3.10.17?

But http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/ is at 3.10.98.

• 10. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                            AlexT_Intel

qemu is not a target, it's a package and it's built due to being a dependency for one of other packages or packagegroups.

On 12.04 this particular package was built just fine. But looks like I have some other problems there, though I haven't got a chance to investigate further as my VM promptly corrupted some data on a disk (unrelated to the build process) and I need to restore it first.

The sources distributed seem to be the static copy of layers, and indeed the kernel version is the same there. However as long as it pulls from a branch on github, where I can see additional (and more recent than Release 2.1) patches, some problems existing on 2.1 image should be fixed there.

ADDED LATER:

btw, the error you're now facing is clearly the one stemming from the fact you have too new Ubuntu for that Yocto (well, package recipe, which is a different story actually, but as in the simplest form we get both Yocto *and* all recipes in the sources packages, that's the same) version. Googling the Perl error message finds this, where you can see that Perl 5.22 doesn't like a specific directive used in that particular piece of software recipe builds. And 5.20 works fine.

In the meanwhile I've fixed disk on my VM and my build continues, 2281 of 5478 bitbake tasks as of now.

On Ubuntu 12.04 there's a specific failure at "rhino" recipe do_fetch step, where it's not able to establish an SSL session. That's caused by lack of SNI support in 12.04's wget, but lackily there's a fix one the way in Ubuntu's -proposed repository and you can easily install it. See details here.

• 11. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                              yfei

Hi FerryT,

I have a similar problem when building Edison image with the latest version - iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315 (see Failed to build Edison image of version iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315), though the details are not different neither is the Ubuntu version (14.04).

So I think it make sense to put my problems here together with yours so that more people could look at this. Following are the details:

I have downloaded the latest Edison BSP source package from http://iotdk.intel.com/src/3.0/edison/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315.zip.
                              I followed the steps indicated in the README file on the top level folder after unzip:

unzip iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315.zip
                              cd iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/poky/
                              source oe-init-build-env ../build_edison/
                              bitbake edison-image u-boot
                              ../poky/meta-intel-edison/utils/flash/postBuild.sh .
                              zip -r toFlash.zip toFlash

But I failed at step 4 (bold highlighted) with following errors (see detail log in attached file):

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/labuser/Edison_BSP/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/../poky/meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-edison-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-externalsrc.bb: Failure expanding variable do_patch: ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable do_patch, expression was         cd /home/labuser/Edison_BSP/iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315/build_edison/../poky/linux-kernel

which triggered exception FetchError: Fetcher failure: Fetch command failed with exit code 128, output:
                              fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/01org/edison-linux.git/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none

My Linux version is Ubuntu 14.04. I compared the steps specified in BSP User Guide (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/edison/sb/edisonbsp_ug_331188007.pdf) with the README file, they are almost the same.

Actually before to reach above step, I have encoutered several problems already after run "bitbake edison-image u-boot". Follwoing are the details:

1. "libsdl-native is set to be ASSUME_PROVIDED but sdl-config can't be found in PATH. Please either install it, or configure qemu not to require sdl."

I have resolved it by just comment following lines from "build_edison/conf/local.conf":

#PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl"
                              #PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"
                              #ASSUME_PROVIDED += "libsdl-native"

2. "Failed to fetch test data from the network. Please ensure your network is configured correctly."

I have resolved it by re-define the variable CONNECTIVTY_CHECK_URIS to blank in "build_edison/conf/local.conf"

CONNECTIVITY_CHECK_URIS = ""

But for the problem which I said in the begining  - Failure expanding variable do_patch, I have searched Edison Community as well as Internet, seems no useful clues yet.

Did anyone face the similar problem as me?

• 12. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                                FerryT

Alex,

I know what qemu is, but looking at local.conf:

# This sets the default machine to be qemux86 if no other machine is selected:

MACHINE ??= "qemux86"

AFAIK this is the target machine.

• 13. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                                  AlexT_Intel

I see what you mean. But they use auto.conf for setting options, local.conf is AFAICS left at default.

"qemu" may be a "machine" in Yocto terms, but the error you had was in a qemu package and the package is built pretty much all the time for Edison images, just because it's a dependency for something. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing

• 14. Re: Problems building iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160315
                                    AlexT_Intel

Just so that anyone watching the thread will get full info - we've clarified with yfei, that the error in do_patch was caused by Git not being able to do GitHub's SSL certificate verification. See that thread for specific solution (or yfei you might want to copy it over, including my suggestion about CA certs update, so that we have all in one place ).

FerryT, yfei, all, I've just finished building the image based on those instructions from the readme and everything worked fine on my tried-and-true Ubuntu 12.04 VM. The only problem I faced was that wget in it doesn't support SNI and it failed when trying to download rhino package sources from GitHub. However installing an updated wget package from Ubuntu's "-proposed" repo (which has exactly that thing fixed) solved it. See this bug record for details.