1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 1:34 PM by lucas_hms

Can't create a bootable SD card

lucas_hms

Hi,

I'm new to this world of embedded systems, but i'm trying to work on a project and I'm stuck on something kinda dumb. I have some needs in a Linux image to use on the board. I need the mraa libs to work with java and of course, jdk8 to run my programs, but all the images I try to use it doesn't boot at all. I spend all day formating and copying images to my sd card following millions of tutorials, even the Yocto found on the intel site simply doesn't work.

Some valid notes:

1- The first time I copied and booted the Yocto, it worked, but when I copied another Debian, nothing more worked.

2- Tryed with other sd card and same thing, no boot;

3- To connect to the board I'm using the cu command line on linux to interface the serial comunication;

4- For the .img and .dsk imagens I'm using the dd command;

5- Those are the guides I'm following for each image:

Yet Another Debian available - Debian

SD Card Setup and Sketch Persistent for Intel® Galileo Board - Intel's Yocto

galileo-debian / Wiki / Home - Debian Wheezy

Booting and Installing an Ostro™ OS Image — Ostro Project Documentation - Ostro OS (if some one ever used this one and knows something to help, I'd be very happy).

Having the Yocto linux working I'd be very happy, anything that isn't an empty terminal is going to save my day.

Thaks all!

• 1. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
          jinzai

I would avoid using anything other than the provided images -- they are Yocto and have mraa already. Are you imaging or maybe copying files? Copying will not work. You must use a disk imager, like Win32DiskImager. The files provided are actually complete images with a partition table and two partitions -- one that Windows can see and the Yocto Linux is on a single Linux ext3 partition -- which Windows cannot see, although the Computer Management Console can see it -- but -- it cannot actually help you much at all.

I just put together a procedure to image a 16GB card and resize the root filesystem using Win32DiskImager and the full EGCLIBC image provided by Intel.

I invested in an FTDI cable because the FTDI port is a better debug port when installing a new OS. However, the wired Ethernet and microUSB will work, too. Okay, here goes...

Step One -- Using Win32DiskImager -- image a blank microSD card using the downloaded image. (Download and unzip it, then use Win32DiskImager to find and open it.) Press the Write button. The image below was taken just after pressing ENTER.

Step One Image the card.png

Eject the card and insert it into your Galileo. Connect to the Galileo using a terminal program -- I used Putty for this...

Follow the instructions on the image below. You will be using the fdisk utility for this. All you need to do is delete the existing Linux ext3 partition and recreate it to use the entire card. fdisk does not overwrite to the partition here -- just the partition table. Remember to write the altered partition table to the card using w and then reboot.

Step Two Increase Second Partition.png

The FTDI port gives a lot of diagnostic output during boot and the first part is a boot manager called GRUB...

Image SD and resize partitions and rootfs step one image a blank sd card initial boot and fdisk three.png

After Galileo is done rebooting, it is time to resize the root filesystem to use the rest of the card, too. Follow the instructions in the image below.

Image SD and resize partitions and rootfs step four.png

If you get stuck on this...just post back here and I will try to get you going.

• 2. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
            lucas_hms

Ow thank you so much, definitely going to help. But before jump in on your guide I have a doubt, this image you used is .img, and as you said, the .direct and .img are the same, but I can't find this .img, just the .direct, found here http://downloadmirror.intel.com/25384/eng/iot-devkit-201510010757-mmcblkp0-galileo.direct.xz . You rename the file so the Win32DiskImager recognize it or you actually downloaded a .img version?

• 3. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
              jinzai

Yes, it is the same image. You can use the .DIRECT version by choosing All Files (*.*) in the file open dialog of Win32 Disk Imager.

• 4. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                lucas_hms

Ok, gonna try right now. One last question. Is there some specific firmware version for this image? Because I updated mine as soon as I got it to 1.0.4

• 5. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                  jinzai

That will be fine. That is the same version I use and most people use that,as well. The Yocto Linux version in that is 3.8.7

• 6. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                    lucas_hms

Still no boot, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, imaged 2 diferent Cards and tryed both on Windows and ubuntu, and nothing. I even thought it was some problem with the board, but using the arduino ide runs fine and execute sketches.

Here are some images of what I configure boot:

Sem título2.png

The imaging processes seems fine because I see the 53MB partition you mentioned that carries the boot files.

And here is what I get on putty:
                    Sem título1.png

I don't know what else to do.

PS: I'm using the micro USB cable to connect to PC therefore, the COM4 port is from the microUSB

• 7. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                      FGT

Hi lucas_hms,

Starting at http://galileo.intel.com/ you should come relatively straightforward to IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone where you will be guided to make a bootable micro SD card having selected OS and an IDE such as XDK. One of the most simple/standard ways of making such a bootable micro SD card for Windows-XDK is found at IoT - Step 1: Make a bootable micro SD card | Intel® Developer Zone

Fernando.

• 8. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                        FGT

lucas_hms wrote:

Still no boot, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, imaged 2 diferent Cards and tryed both on Windows and ubuntu, and nothing. I even thought it was some problem with the board, but using the arduino ide runs fine and execute sketches.

Here are some images of what I configure boot:

Sem título2.png

The imaging processes seems fine because I see the 53MB partition you mentioned that carries the boot files.

And here is what I get on putty:
                        Sem título1.png

I don't know what else to do.

PS: I'm using the micro USB cable to connect to PC therefore, the COM4 port is from the microUSB

The micro USB cable to connect to the PC is used for Arduino-style developing, the USB is needed by the IDE to load Arduino sketched in Galileo. Step 4 at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone guides you and explains what you need in order to have the serial console depending on the Galileo card you have (Galileo aka "Gen 1" or Galileo Gen 2).

HTH,

Fernando.

• 9. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                          lucas_hms

Hi FGT,

FGT wrote:

The micro USB cable to connect to the PC is used for Arduino-style developing, the USB is needed by the IDE to load Arduino sketched in Galileo. Step 4 at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone guides you and explains what you need in order to have the serial console depending on the Galileo card you have (Galileo aka "Gen 1" or Galileo Gen 2).

HTH,

Fernando.

Strange thing is that I could use, the serial terminal the first time I booted the board with the SD card, and many tutorials use just the micro USB for this interface, even with the wired Ethernet. This FTDI cable is the only way, for this connection?

• 10. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                            FGT

lucas_hms wrote:

Hi FGT,

FGT wrote:

HTH,

Fernando.

Strange thing is that I could use, the serial terminal the first time I booted the board with the SD card, and many tutorials use just the micro USB for this interface, even with the wired Ethernet. This FTDI cable is the only way, for this connection?

Hmm... let me explain a little bit, maybe I misunderstood something and you'll let me know better...

I have only Intel Galileo (aka Gen 1), not Intel Galileo Gen 2.

In my Intel Galileo I could never use the USB client for other than download Galileo sketches. Just to confirm:

a) Before plugging in the Galieo USB to my laptop:

b) After:

i.e. a COM port connected to Galileo appears, as expected

c) Setting the PuTTY client:

and opening the client:

i.e. nothing happens, as expected.

Please send the URLs of

"...many tutorials use just the micro USB for this interface, even with the wired Ethernet. "

Take care not to be confused with using PuTTY as a telnet or ssh client, both take advantage of the Galileo Ethernet interface.

About

"This FTDI cable is the only way, for this connection?"

Yes, as far as I know. If you want some guidance for using PuTTY as a telnet and/or ssh client just let me know, or search in this forum, I think there are plenty of examples.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 11. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                              FGT

Hi again ,

Now the I re-read your last post I think it's possible the Galileo is actually booting from SD card, but there is no way of knowing... Just load the blink example and turn off the Galileo. If the LED is blinking once the Galileo is powered on again then it is using the SD card successfully. Actually, this is the suggested way of looking at it, according to Intel documentation SD Card Setup and Sketch Persistent for Intel® Galileo Board:

The Intel Galileo Board should now be booting from the SD card. The easiest way to verify this is to upload the Blink example, and reboot the Intel Galileo Board. If the Blink example continues to run after booting, then you are booting from the SD card.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 12. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                                lucas_hms

FGT

Now I understood, I've been trying to use puTTY as a SERIAL terminal not as ssh or telnet. So I think I must spend a little bit of money on a FTDI cable, Thank you very much for your help, realy clarified lots of misunderstood points for me.

PS: looks like you are from Brazil, if so, do you know of some online store that I could find a good price on one FTDI cable? At first glace, looks very expensive.

• 13. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                                  FGT

Hi ,

You are welcome.

No idea of FTDI cables, but they are a little bit expensive for latin american people, I think ; ) ) ... I suggest you set a fixed IP via an Arduino sketch and use telnet or ssh, which I've made usually (if you need help, do not hesitate opening another thread, people here usually help a lot). However, if you need to work at UEFI and boot times... then you'll need the serial console, I think. Fortunately, our University received a donation from Seeed/Seeedstudio with a lot of cool stuff for Intel Galileo (aka Gen 1) which included a serial cable for the Intel Galileo "strange" (aka "plug") serial connector.

Edit: just in case, there are many threads on FTDI cables, such as Re: USB Serial FTDI Adapter Galieo gen2 (repurpose the Gen 1) with links to actual sellers and technical details.

BR,

Fernando.

• 14. Re: Can't create a bootable SD card
                                    lucas_hms

I need the console to use the Linux on the SD card. I'm working on a project that depends on the Linux, so I can run Java and the MRAA libs. I'll talk to my coordinator, maybe he can provide the cable.

Thaks again!

1 2 Previous Next