Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Intel HD Graphics 4600 Windows 10 64-bit

ĽSoko
Beginner

I have updated from Windows 8 to Windows 10 more than a half year ago. Initially, everything was OK. Then I started to get the error "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered Intel HD Graphics 4600 Windows 10 64-bit". Now I am getting the error every 10-15 minutes, mainly when using text editors. I have tried updating the drivers automatically via Devices manager, but it said the current driver was already up to date. Then I tried updating manually by downloading the latest drivers in an .exe file. However, the installation was blocked by Windows, because the author of the driver was unknown. Does anybody have the same issue? What should I do?

13 Replies
MFleš
Beginner

Have the same problem. Now I have tried update my Intel HD 4600 driver trough Intel Driver Update Utility, but without success.

The problem pop-out in error window as: "Your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements", which is funny.

I hope, that Intel solve this issue as soon as possible...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi All,

If you are getting an error message related to author of the driver was unknown, say that you trust it. Now, in the case of "Your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements" make sure you are using the latest BIOS, and chipset driver.

If problem continues, download and run our Intel® System Support Utility and send me the results.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600

How to attach a file:

-Click on reply

-Click Use advanced editor (upper right side)

-Click Attach (lower right hand)

Mike C
0 Kudos
cbell7
Novice

Hi Matus,

I think this message is shows right, the Intel HD 4600 Graphic is only equivalent to GT630 graphic card, so I think this if you play some new games, maybe you need to upgrade your graphic hardware.

0 Kudos
cbell7
Novice

Hi Rimobul,

The display driver stopped responding and has recovered is a normal problem upon Windows Vista. There are several problems caused it. Maybe the software, maybe the hardware. As you said your driver is the latest version, so maybe you can try to do something follow this article: https://www.driverdr.com/news/easy-way-to-fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has-recovered/ fix display driver responding and has recovered on Windows 10, besides of drivers problem, maybe you can try to set the TDR data, check the GPU overclock set, check BIOS/Motherboard drivers, and graphic card maybe old, etc. And you will see why this happened from this article.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Matus and Rimobul,

I am following your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Mike C

0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner

Have you had any luck solving this problem or is it still an issue? I feel like I've tried it all at this point. The 4600 froze on Windows 7/8/8.1 and every time I've used 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi CJM,

Tell me when your system is frozen, let me know which application you are running, processor model, processor speed in BIOS (overclocking or not), driver version. Our latest drivers are running properly with default settings.

Mike C
0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner
BaseBoard ManufacturerASRockBIOS ModeLegacyBIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. P2.30 , 03/17/2016 12:00 AMCD or DVDPIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207DEmbedded Controller Version255.255Platform RoleDesktopProcessor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHz , GenuineIntelSecure Boot StateNot AvailableSMBIOS Version2.7Sound CardHD Webcam C270Sound CardHigh Definition Audio DeviceSound CardIntel(R) Display AudioSystem ManufacturerTo Be Filled By O.E.M.System ModelTo Be Filled By O.E.M.System SKUTo Be Filled By O.E.M.System Type

x64-based PC

Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home(10.0.14393 Build 14393)Physical Memory (Installed):8 GBProcessor :Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHzSystem Type:x64-based PCDisplay Adapter(s):Intel(R) HD Graphics 460020.19.15.4474System Manufacturer:ASRockSystem Model:H81M-ITXNetwork Adapter(s):ASUS USB-N53 802.11a/b/g/n Network Adapter5.1.26.0Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)2.1.0.21Disk(s):Hitachi HDS723020BLA6421,006.82 GB (available)10.0.14393.0

I am currently using the latest Beta graphics drivers, and the "display driver has stopped responding" happens constantly regardless of what programs I am running. I've tried shutting down tons of background services, and the problem still occurs. I even tried resetting the CPU and fan/heatsink with new thermal paste, which had no effect. The CPU is not overclocked in any way. It's persisted for years now, and the OS version makes no impact either. I've tried all kinds of software setting modifications for both the OS, particularly graphics settings. At this point, since it's happened since day one over the last 3 years, I'm convinced the only possible explanation for this long of a time without a resolution, after tons of attempts, that the CPU/GPU were shipped to me damaged, or not properly made.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi CJM,

You are getting an error message saying "display driver has stopped responding" Are you getting the error message while playing or streaming videos or when?

Let me know the current speed of the Ram in the BIOS, please.

The latest driver for HD 4600 is version 4463 available here.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496

Mike C

0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner

I changed the Ram speed in the BIOS to 8-8-8-24, from 9-9-9, and changed the voltage to be lower. These settings are now exactly in line with the RAM manufacturer's recommendations. This had no effect, and may have made the problem more frequent. I tried the 4463 version, as well as the later beta, and now the newer 4501. None of them make any difference.

I also tried adding TdrDelay and TdrLevel to the registry, which also had no effect.

I PC is now as unusable as it's ever been. I've rolled back and forward so many times, tried so many different drivers, and have been unable to really use my desktop PC reliably for 3 YEARS.

This problem is getting out of hand.

The Intel site clearly says my processor supports Windows 7/8/10, and so far, I've found none of that to be remotely true.

I do appreciate your effort in your response and will be sure to let the Better Business Bureau know that I was at least not ignored.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi CJM,

I regret the bad experience with your system. Just take in mind the i3 processor is locked; it is not intended for overclocking.

The memory controller is inside the processor and it supports DDR3 memories at 1333 and 1600@1.5V or DDR3 1333 or 1600@ 1.35V.

Mike C
CConn7
Beginner

I set the memory controller inside the processor to the exact manufacturer specifications (voltage and timing), and as of 3 years, Intel, ASrock, and Microsoft, the problem has not only failed to be resolved, but has increased in significant magnitude. As an investor... if this is a major concern of your stock and product performance, I have to question how you maintain a profitable business state while repeatedly (over 3 YEARS) forgoing the obligation with the consumer. I have lost all faith in Intel, Microsoft, and Asrock, as far as any future specifications. This was the most long-term, unhelpful customer service I have received. As an investor over the long-term, I feel it would be within my rights to question the technical and customer-service ability of your staff... as it has failed over a decade of examples of how product support and loyalty should work.

I WILL NEVER, EVER, IN A MILLION YEARS, BUY ANOTHER PROCESSOR EVEN REMOTELY RELATED TO INTEL:

I WILL NEVER TOUCH, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, A MICROSOFT-RELATED PRODUCT

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ME, FOR THE SAKE OF NOTHING BUT TIME, IF YOU INTEND TO CONTINUE THIS DISRESPECT OF YOUR LONG-TERM CUSTOMERS. After multiple generations of repeatedly failing-software and let-down expectations, I have decided to permanently eject myself (and any customer I can contact, within reason, to not EVER buy, purchase, subscribe to, or even get involved with an INTEL product. Worst mistake you can make, cost me 3 years of productivity.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi CJM,

I am really sorry for all inconveniences you have been through. I have sent you a private message. Please review your inbox.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos