3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 4:35 PM by Intel Corporation

Initial setup problem with Windows 10 and Breakout Board.

monahanz

Hi all, first time here.

Ok so I just got the Edison with the Breakout board.  Spent the whole morning on it ending up very frustrated trying to get life out of the thing.

I downloaded the “Windows* 64-bit setup tool” from here:-

https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/hardware/edison/downloads

seemed to load the drivers OK.  When I tried to flash the Edison drive Windows 10 said the drive was unformatted. I went ahead never the less.  The setup tool completed OK.

However when I tried to access the drive with the PuTTY tool from here

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/628228

I got no activity what so ever.

I tried the whole process again this time formatting the above drive first (FAT format, 766MB) first.  Again everything seemed to go OK but no PuTTY life at the end. 

Have two USB lines connected to my PC. Seem to be fine. I have the serial port on COM6 115200 Baud.

Both LED on the Breakout board light up. Yet no life to the PC what did I do wrong???  

BTW under windows no files are displayed on my "Edison H:" drive. Should files be visible there when the drive is flashed?

Most treads here are for the Arduino type board. Wish there was more info for the Breakout board  -- nee that one for an application.

Some suggestions would very much be appreciated from an experienced user.

John Monahan

• 1. Re: Initial setup problem with Windows 10 and Breakout Board.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi John,

I am sorry to hear that you have had problems setting the board.
          Let’s try by flashing the board with the flashall script: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154
          Could you attach a screenshot of what you get on your Device Manager?
          Have you tried with different USB ports and cables?

Also, it is normal to not have files on the -Edison H- unit

Regards,
          Charlie

• 2. Re: Initial setup problem with Windows 10 and Breakout Board.
            monahanz

Thanks for the rapid reply Charlie.

I'm not quite sure what happened but I think I was trying to communicate via the wrong USB serial port -- as you suggested. When I reinstalled it again this time using "COM3" it loaded fine and I can now communicate via PuTTY.  I tried COM3 in the past without success. I have a number of USB devices hooked up I think there was some cross talk when I switched connections.

The Windows 10 folder for the Edison still shows up as empty however. Is there any use in placing files there from the PC?  Could they then be accessed from the Edison? If so how.

By way of background let me tell you of my intentions. For a few years now I have been building S100 bus Computers boards see:-

www.S100Computers.com. 

There are is a growing hobby interest in these boards.  Just recently built S100 bus 80386 and 80486 boards.  My next project is to place the Atom/Edison CPU on the S100 bus.  I wish to use the brakeboard board pins to control the bus in a master/slave configuration.  I have a few questions I am digging around to try and find out perhaps you could help:-

1. Is it possible to configure the Edison/breakout board so it always after reset boots to a defined program directly.  Ideally in C.
            2. Is it possible to configure the Edison/breakout board so the Atom CPU goes directly some Assembly code module (8086 style etc.), after it initializes all its hardware.
            3. Is it possible to configure the Edison/breakout board so always communicates via the WiFi connection rather than the USB/serial port after reset/initialization?

If yes to these, any chance you could point me to some relevant code/examples.

Again

Thanks for the help.

John

• 3. Re: Initial setup problem with Windows 10 and Breakout Board.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi John,

I’m glad to know that you have been able to use your board.
              It is normal to have the folder/unit empty after flashing the board, you can have access to this unit from the Serial Terminal of the board. Take a look at the following thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/55510, the steps basically are: 
              To have access from the terminal:
              rmmod g_multi
              mkdir /update
              losetup -o 8192 /dev/loop0 /dev/disk/by-partlabel/update
              mount /dev/loop0 /update
              To have access from the PC:
              cd /
              umount /update
              modprobe g_multi

Regarding your questions:
              1.    You can create a service to run at boot with systemd. The service can load a C code, or executable file without problems. https://communities.intel.com/message/314593#314593 
              2.    There isn’t a list of registers and instructions for the Edison to use on Assembly code.
              3.    I’m not sure if I understand your questions; do you want to always use the Terminal Console of the board through WiFi instead of using the USB cable? If this is what you want to do you can use a SSH connection by using the IP address of the board, if the IP doesn’t change you can always use this method, but if you don’t know the IP of it you will need to use the USB cable.
              I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
              Charlie