3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 7:55 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH - Windows 7 64-bit - No Peripherals

ilikerhinos

Hello, recently purchased the NUC6i5SYH, and am trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It is a modified ISO, as I've slimmed the heck out of it down to a final install size of just 3.5GB.

I've tried an OEM install as well from Microsoft and it gives same results.

The hardware: NUC6i5SYH, Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133MHz @ CL13, ZTC 128GB 2240 M.2 SATA3 SSD, and Corsair 256GB SSD of some sorts.

I'm connecting a USB 2.0 2GB flash drive to the NUC via internal header as Intel's tool did not work in my attempt to install Windows 7.

It has the latest BIOS. There is no option to select which OS within the BIOS.

Windows 7 install is automated, and have keyboard/mouse support when selecting a partition to install Windows 7 onto, but after everything is said and done, and boots to the desktop, there is no peripheral support for ANYTHING. USB external or internally connected, don't work. I cannot load drivers as every Intel driver for the NUC, Windows 7 thinks it's unsigned and cannot load before selecting the partition.

Tried installing drivers with RT 7 Lite, version 2.6, with the proper, updated USB 3 drivers.

I've followed this guide here, a guide from Intel, researched here, and here. Nothing seems to be working.

The reason Windows 7 is important to me is Windows 10 is dreadfully horrible. Among the reasons is Microsoft kindly eliminated nearly every aspect of user privacy control (which sort-of works), and their own bloatware creates easy backdoors, and possibly more malware created for Windows 10 now that it runs on so many various devices.

Any tips/guidance will be greatly appreciated, and I'll provide all the info I can to assist in solving this.

When trying the DISM GUI, it gives an error about the install.wim when trying to add the USB 3 drivers, but worked on the boot.wim..

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 7 64-bit - No Peripherals
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Ilikerhinos,

Let’s try with this troubleshooting using the Intel® Creator Utility:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Windows® 7 installation steps on 6th gen NUC kits

1. Copy the boot.wim and install.wim files from your Windows® 7 bootable USB drive to a new folder on the desktop of a working machine “Ex: wimfile” 

1. Open Windows® 7 bootable USB drive
            3. Select Sources folder
            5. Copy “boot.wim” and “install.wim” and paste them to “wimfile” folder
          2. Unpack Intel USB 3.0 driver version 4.0.2.42 zip folder to a new folder on the desktop https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25687/USB-3-0-Intel-USB-3-0-Driver-for-NUC6i-x-SY
          3. Create another empty folder on the desktop. Call it “mount” (doesn’t really matter what you call it)
          4. Right-click DISM GUI.exe and run as administrator
          5. Download DISMGUI https://dismgui.codeplex.com/
          6. Click Choose WIM 

1.  Search for “wimfile” folder on desktop
            3. Select boot.wim
          7. Change Index to 2
          8. Choose the Mount Location folder
          9. Click Mount WIM
          10. Click the Driver Management tab at the top
          11. Choose the Driver Folder (within the folder you unpacked the drivers to in step 2 

1.  Select Drivers folder
            3. Select Win7 folder
            5. Choose between x64 or x86 (Depending on the build you are using)
          12. Check Recurse if it isn’t already
          13. Click Add Drivers
          14. Click Mount Control tab
          15. Click Dismount WIM
          16. Select Yes to “Do you want to commit changes?”
          17. Click Choose WIM 

1.  Search USB drive with Win7 OS,
            3. Search for “wimfile” folder on desktop
            5. Select install.wim
          18. Click Display WIM Info (info for each Index will display in the bottom window)
          19. Choose the Index for the edition of Windows you intend to install 

1. Home Basic
            3. Home Premium
            5. Professional
            7. Ultimate
          20. Follow steps 7 – 15 again
          21. Copy your new boot.wim and install.wim back to the sources folder on your Windows® 7 bootable USB drive.
          22. Install Windows with the edition you chose from step 18
          When everything is done, Windows Update may not work. You need to download and install Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64 which will correct an error with Windows Update. Once done, run Windows Update again and let it go for as long as it takes to find updates (could take a few hours).
          Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [October 2014] from Official Micros…

It is necessary to download the drivers from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ using a working machine. 

Regards,
          Hellen.
          • 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 7 64-bit - No Peripherals
            ilikerhinos

Did all the above steps, still didn't work. Ended up loading two linux distros, Kali & Mint, and Windows 10 is still there. When Win10 boots it automatically starts a full screen VM of Windows 7. Not exactly a solution, but a fix of sorts nonetheless.

I did end up getting Windows 7 to load and connect to a WIRED keyboard/mouse, and that actually worked. It wasn't really what I had in mind of using generic keyboard/mouse wired, but it did work. Since this device is being mounted in the closet and connected with a HDMI cable and that's it, it was important for the wireless functionality.

Your solution did work somewhat, thanks for all the time put into the reply, much appreciated.

Another step worth noting is using RT7 lite to install the generic microsoft NVME driver, should you be without drivers for the SSD.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH - Windows 7 64-bit - No Peripherals
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi ilikerhinos,

It is a pleasure, also thanks for sharing the experience; if there is anything else you need, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,
              Hellen.