3 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 12:49 PM by FGT

Installing new libraries/tools in Galileo board

AshwinG

Hey , I have a few queries about installing libraries/tools in the Gen 2 Galileo board .

Firstly , I have been working with Intel Pin , a dynamic instrumentation tool in my Ubuntu desktop. Now , I want to instrument an executable running directly on the galileo board , is it possible to install Pin in the galileo board? What should I do in order to install new packages/software?

Secondly, using the cross compilation toolkit , is it possible to use clang compiler instead of gcc?  In this case, clang just needs to be installed in my Desktop right? and what else do i need to make sure ?

I am brand new to this , so I don't exactly understand the work flow. So , it would be great if someone answers the queries in a pretty detailed way. If it is required, I don't use any specific IDE for compilation . I either use ssh and compile it on the board or use the cross compilation toolkit (by sourcing the environment ).

• 1. Re: Installing new libraries/tools in Galileo board
          FGT

Hi ,

Yocto is "yet another" (way of building) Linux. A specific one, but Linux, https://www.yoctoproject.org/:

"

It's not an embedded Linux distribution

– it creates a custom one for you

"

I would take a look at pin dependencies, since yocto is not a "full" Linux in the sense it does not include all the standard "features"... e.g. eglibc based image (one of the yocto images) does not use glibc...

"Embedded GLIBC (EGLIBC) was a variant of the GNU C Library (GLIBC) that was designed to work well on embedded systems."

(EGLIBC: EGLIBC)

The "package manager" is opkg, and there are many threads on opkg and yocto-related packages, such as How to enable the Yocto-provided package management capability  and Yocto Package Manager.

I think that if pin dependencies are already fulfilled I would try to install tools directly from sources... but I'm far from being an expert.

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Installing new libraries/tools in Galileo board
            AshwinG

I have been wanting to do these two things. Install Pin and a static taint analysis tool - Clang static analyzer in this case . So , you are saying it doesn't matter whether my Desktop already has clang installed , I have to install everything manually again for the Galileo board right?

• 3. Re: Installing new libraries/tools in Galileo board
              FGT

AshwinG wrote:

I have been wanting to do these two things. Install Pin and a static taint analysis tool - Clang static analyzer in this case . So , you are saying it doesn't matter whether my Desktop already has clang installed , I have to install everything manually again for the Galileo board right?

Sorry, maybe I did not explain very well... I was trying to answer

AshwinG wrote:

... , is it possible to install Pin in the galileo board? What should I do in order to install new packages/software?

I don't know about cross-compiling for Galileo... Anyhow, in this particular case I'd install and develop everything in Galileo (taking into account dependencies, see my previous post), but it's about my choice...

Fernando.