4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 8:56 AM by Intel Corporation

Possibly a bad NUC

Piratesgold

Well I'm at the end of my rope here.  I have NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH- I cannot get Windows 7 to install even using the Intel install with 3.0 USB drivers-works until you have to put in a user name then nothing-no keyboard and no mouse!  Tried that three times-nothing changed!

Decided to install Windows Server 2012R2 and the USB works and I have a mouse and keyboard.  Did updates and still no Ethernet adapter found! Tried the Intel Driver Update Utility and only found Chipset update. Downloaded and acted like it installed but it didn't.

Decided to install Windows 8.1-same thing no Ethernet adapter found.

BIOS updated to 0042 and the LAN is checked in the BIOS.

Could this be a bad NUC?  If so, do I contact Intel Support to try to resolve?

TIA!

• 1. Re: Possibly a bad NUC
          hegenious

first things first.

I cannot get Windows 7 to install even using the Intel install with 3.0 USB drivers-works until you have to put in a user name then nothing-no keyboard and no mouse!

This simply means creating the install media with USB3 drivers failed. The Intel utility is known to be tricky. The result is that in the BIOS your mouse and kb work, but as soon as the Windows installer starts, the USB3 drivers fail to load.

Is your NUC faulty? No.

Decided to install Windows Server 2012R2 and the USB works and I have a mouse and keyboard.  Did updates and still no Ethernet adapter found!

OK so that worked for kb and mouse, so we can conclude USB3 works. I hope it does not come as a surprise that Intel does not provide ethernet LAN drivers for Server 2012R2 for the NUC6i5SYH, that's why no ethernet.

Is your NUC faulty? No.

Tried the Intel Driver Update Utility and only found Chipset update. Downloaded and acted like it installed but it didn't.

Again, this Intel tool is known to be broken. Preferably download and install the latest drivers from Intel Download Center. Manually.

Is your NUC faulty? No.

Decided to install Windows 8.1-same thing no Ethernet adapter found.

There are Win 8.1 LAN drivers in the Intel Download Center. DL and install manually, forget about the Intel Driver Update Utility.

So it seems every attempt of yours has been put off by a driver install issue. Caused by Intel's buggy software when it comes to the USB3 creator tool and the Driver Update Utility. I'm pretty sure that when you do install drivers by hand you'll be fine.

Your NUC not is at fault, nor are you.

• 2. Re: Possibly a bad NUC
            Piratesgold

Thank you for the help and insight!  As you suggested, I installed Windows 8 and after signing in I began the process of manually installing drivers.  As you said-it did work!

Although I like Windows 8, I would still like to have Windows 7 installed but for now Windows 8 will work IF I can get VMware Workstation to load.  That is the whole reasoning for purchasing the NUC is to use it as a demo box for my company's IT solutions.

So before the laughter, I'm a network/data storage systems engineer so when I get to the customer's data center, the servers are built and waiting for me to do my magic with my solution!  I have built some servers in my career but not enough to be confident I know enough to make it all work seamlessly.

So one more question, then I'll just monitor the community (hopefully just one more question)-is there any way to get Windows 7 Pro on these NUCs?  If the USB3 driver utility will not work with the ISO install is there a workaround?

Thanks again for the assistance and detailed help!

Gary

• 3. Re: Possibly a bad NUC
              hegenious

No laughter here...

I happen to be in the same line of business as you.

VMware Workstation should install and work fine, I don't see a problem ahead. I'm using WS12 Pro, but recently reverted to WS11, because VMware decided to drop Unity support in 12. Go figure...

As for a workaround for the Win7 USB3 issue, there are many but I like to point people to one that worked for me.

Here goes: How to install Windows 7 on a PC with only USB 3.0 ports

Good luck,

Heg

• 4. Re: Possibly a bad NUC
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Piratesgold,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

As hegenious said “No laughter here” we are here to help each other solving problems.

I suggest following the instructions from the link provided by hegenious, if that worked for him I’m sure it will work for you.

Best wishes,

Ivan