5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 7:58 AM by Intel Corporation

Format entire edison as Fat32 only

Mosfet

Dear Admins,

Is there anyway to format the entire Edison Flash to be FAT32 only. (No I dont even need the kernel or any rootfs ext4 for my purpose).

Basically I will be writing a boot.cmd (boot.scr) for the U-Boot to only fatload vmlinuz and initramfs and operate from RAM ONLY. Please do let me know.

Thanking you

• 1. Re: Format entire edison as Fat32 only
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Mosfet,

I'm not sure if there is a way to do this, and I don't know if by doing this, the Edison will work as expected. Anyhow, please let me investigate about it to give you a better answer. I’ll come back to you with additional information as soon as possible.

Regards,
          Diego

• 2. Re: Format entire edison as Fat32 only
            Mosfet

Hi Diego

(a) The U-boot can still occupy a small portion of it mmc. Point is can we use the mainline u-boot for it or are there any patched required?

(b) Can we format the rest into FAT32 and then copy vmlinux and initramfs file.

(c) can we then create boot.scr file with setenv commands so that the U-boot reads boot.scr and follows the commands to pick up the vmlinux and initramfs. For example this is a typical boot.scr looks in one of my projects.

• setenv bootargs earlyprintk /vmlinuz-4.6.0-rc1-sunxi modules=loop,squashfs,sd-mod,usb-storage modloop=/modloop-sunxi console=${console}
            • fatload mmc 0 0x43000000 /sun8i-h3-orangepi-pc.dtb
            • fatload mmc 0 0x42000000 /vmlinuz-4.6.0-rc1-sunxi
            • fatload mmc 0 0x45000000 /initramfs-sunxi-new
            • bootz 0x42000000 0x45000000 0x43000000

Please think on those lines?

• 3. Re: Format entire edison as Fat32 only
              Intel Corporation

Hi Mosfet,

What you want to do will require patches which are currently not available, and we don't have plans to explore this option, or develop patches for it. However, we encourage you to give it a try and share your results with the community.

Regards,
              Diego

• 4. Re: Format entire edison as Fat32 only
                Mosfet

Diego

Atleast share with us layout details of how the booting process is taking place. Things like Trusted Boot Rom and where it burnt.

Details about different IFWIs files and what are they. From which sector is U-boot written so that we can understand, customize and give a solution.

Yocto/other rootfs crash during power failures. Its although more important for IoT/Embedded devices to be crash proof. We can develop one but need more details.

• 5. Re: Format entire edison as Fat32 only
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Mosfet,

You can use the command fw_printenv to list the U-boot environment variables. The outcome of the command is attached below.

Unfortunately, there is no more details available on this.

Regards,
                  Diego