cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a problem with a new Intel X25-M SATA Solid State Disk 160GB and Dell XPS 630i.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a problem with a new Intel X25-M SATA Solid State Disk 160GB and Dell XPS 630i.

Prerequisites:

Dell XPS 630i Service tag: 2NFDR3J The only thing I changed from the original setup is the memories: A-Data DDR2 PC2-6400 400 MHz 4 * 2GB = 8GB The computer will now run Windows Vista Ultimate x64 without any problems. BIOS Ver: 1.0.13 Date 05/05/2009

New Disk: X25-M SATA Solid State Disk 160GB Prod Code: SSDSA2MH160G2R5 Serial # GQFNH8UR21

Problem:

Bios find SSD disk without problems, but there are no settings to do in bios relating to SATA and AHCI. When I disconnect the other old SATA disks with Vista and trying to install Windows 7 Professional, it takes over 1.5 hours to copy files, unpack and install. The installation seems to stop at the completion of the installation. I have done this 4 times with the same result and when I let the installation proceed overnight, it just says that the computer will restart and the installation will be completed. The screen is not frozen or anything and the animations floating well, and the white light on the front of the computer blinks slowly, as if it actually did something. I've tried with two different distribution media with the same result.

After reading various forums, i tried to update the firmware on the SSD with a boot disk created from 110902HD88208850.iso downloaded from Intel. I have the message that the program can not find any SSD drive connected to your computer?

I have previously installed a Crossair SSD in my MCE without any problems and Windows 7 installation will not take many minutes to complete.

I have run out of ideas: Help!

Best regards,

Oscar Brännudd

Sweden

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have the same combo (80GB) version though; I have it working with Windows 7 but unfortunately it looks like we will never get full use as the Dell uses an nVidia motherboard which so far from my web browsing doesn't seem to fully support the drive. You can't even enable AHCI; if you want to update firmware you will have to do so in another machine but still don't think you will get trim support working.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It appears other vendors have released utilitites to enable ACHI on this specific motherboard. Intel will you be doing something like this?