Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14615 Discussions

Dell OptiPlex XE CPU Upgrade

JJeff7
Beginner

What's the fastest dual-core and quad-core CPU the OptiPlex XE SFF can handle with the stock heat sink and stock PSU?

Motherboard: 01KD4V, Q45 Express

PSU: 280 watt

The Dell Technical Guidebook lists E7400 dual-core as the fastest compatible CPU (no quad-cores) but I see many listings on eBay for OptiPlex XE's with E8400 CPU's. That leads me to believe that the newest BIOS (A05) supports CPU's with 1333 MHz FSB.

I'm looking at the E8600 and Q9650 CPU's in particular. I also see that the Q9550S is rated at 65 watts. I would like to know if any of these three CPU's can be used without temperature or power issues as well as the E8400.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Jeff
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You will have to contact dell and ask what processors are supported by their bios. Then, you can select from those processors.

However, upgrading a PC that has a q45 chipset and 280w power supply will, in my opinion, not be worth it. It will still not be supported by Windows 10 (which will inevitably will be installed by Microsoft), which will force you to add a graphics card which (if you succeed in compatibility) will force you to get a new power supply (if the power supply will be compatible).

Best advice - Just get a current motherboard, processor, memory, psu, and avoid the problems you will be facing.

Doc

0 Kudos
JJeff7
Beginner

I didn't think Dell would be helpful since the unit is not under warranty and an"official" response from Dell will most likely come from the same tech guide that I already have which lists the E7400 as the max CPU. I was hoping to hear from someone who has actual XE experience with the E8400, Q9650 or Q9550S.

E8400 CPU's are only $10 so the XE (as is) is worth upgrading so long as the combo is stable. Upgrading the MB and memory is not cost effective and Windows is irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The problem is that, for those other processors, if they are not supported by Dell's bios, they may or may not work, or perform correctly, and may even damage your motherboard. Only Dell can tell you what processors are supported by their bios.

Doc

0 Kudos
JJeff7
Beginner

I called Dell... Zero help. I was transferred 4 times and the last unintelligible person was finally willing to answer my question. He told me the processor could not be upgraded. He said the MB, processor and memory would have to be replaced.

The Dell Tech Guide lists one motherboard and three different processors that are compatible so that tells me the processor can be upgraded.

Doc, I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your responses.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It will be difficult to get Dell to give you the information.

The E7400 uses socket LGA775:

http://ark.intel.com/products/36500/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E7400-3M-Cache-2_80-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7400 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) Specifications

There are at least 176 processors that fit that socket:

http://ark.intel.com/Search/Advanced?s=t&SocketsSupported=LGA775 ARK | Processor Feature Filter

This is why Dell must give you the answer. The only other solution I can offer is that someone on the Dell support forum may have more information on your particular Dell BIOS.

Good luck.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

jeffshead, I agree with Al_Hill, in this case you need to contact Dell for more information in regard to this matter. Since you mentioned that phone support was not helpful, try their social media support at https://twitter.com/dellcares DellCares (@DellCares) | Twitter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, /thread/101543 jeffshead:

Were you able to contact Dell? Did they help you?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJeff7
Beginner

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I posted in the Dell forum and someone was kind enough to provide the info below:

The E8600, Q9550S, and Q9650 were not tested by Dell on this model. I can show you what the Dell tested parts page list for this model =

4HF4Y Wolfdale E5300, 2.60GHz, 2MB, 65W, R0

38G73 Wolfdale E7400, 2.80GHz, 3MB, WFD, R0

H399J Wolfdale E8400, 3.00GHz, 6MB, 1333FSB, 65W, E0

N1MFN Xeon Westmere X5650, 2.66/6.4GHz, 12MB, 95W, 6C

The latest Bios A05 (OXE-A05.EXE) only mentions as a fix, "Support Windows Signing function". It does not mention fixes for other supported CPUs.

Since I already ordered the Q9650, I tried it anyway. The cores reach 84C within three minutes of starting the Prime95 stress test and 94C within another minute so it's a no-go I'm thinking any 95watt CPU is going to run too hot for the XE.

Since E8400 dual core CPU's are dirt cheap on eBay, I ordered one and it runs just fine in the XE.

I have an OptiPlex 780 I'm going to try the Q9650 in, next. Luckily, I was able to find/order an OEM copper heatsink with tubes for the 780 that will hopefully keep the temps down.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's is good to hear!

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JJeff7
Beginner

The copper heat-sink does better.

30-34C at idle and 59-66C with Prime95 stress test.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Looks good!

Thank you for reporting back.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos