2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 10:42 AM by Bill.

Circuit for the Blink example

Bill.

Hi,

Look at: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000006330.html

it says it is using the code provided under the examples for Arduino* IDE 1.5.3.

which has ledPin = 13

Re: the image of the board, at the end of the page, shows wiring to pin 13

Question 1: will Blink then cause DS2 AND the LED attached to pin 13 to both blink?

Re: the drawing shows the Arduino 5 volts connected to the positive strip on the breadboard

My board does not have a positive strip.

In the image, I don't see anything connected to the positive strip where the red wire is connected.

Question 2: is some magic happening with the breadboard having a postive strip such that the 5 volts flows somewhere, if so where?

Re: book: "Getting Started with Intel Edison" by Stephanie Moyerman, page 64

Her wiring diagram looks like the above mentioned webpage EXCEPT she has nothing connected to the 5 volt pin on the Edison/Arduino board.

Re: book: "Arduino A Quick-Start Guide" by Maik Schmidt, page 43

See image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/129335632@N07/15590012018/in/album-72157648847280389/

It also does not show anything connected to the 5 volt pin.

Question 3: Is a wire supposed to be connected to the 5 volt pin and if so where does it get connected on a breadboard without a positive strip or is the drawing, mentioned at the beginning of this discussion, in error?

Thanks,

Bill

• 1. Re: Circuit for the Blink example
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Bill.,

See my answers below for each question:

1. Yes, the DS2 is the on-board LED and it is connected to the IO13. If you toggle the IO13 and has an external LED connected to this pin, then both LEDs will blink.

2. That's an error in the image. The positive strip connected to the 5V pin is not used in the Blink example. You can ignore it.

3. The 5V pin is not used, so there is no need to connect the positive strip.

Thank you for let us know this detail. I'll report it so the team in charge can review your feedback.

Regards,
          Diego

• 2. Re: Circuit for the Blink example
            Bill.

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the clarification. That is what I thought and am glad I don't have to worry about the "red 5 volt wire".

Regards,

Bill