1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 1:15 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting

MartinWheeler

Hi,

I have a NUC6i5SYH, which randomly reboots or in one case just does not respond altogether. I have reviewed the eventlog and the following message is present:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

I  have upgraded to the latest BIOS version and updated all drivers but the issue is still present. Please can provide a resolution to this issue.

Regards,

Martin.

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
          N.Scott.Pearson

There are a lot of things that could possibly cause this. Have you verified that you do not have a bad SODIMM? Are you using the power brick that came with the unit?

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
            MartinWheeler

Hi,

Yes using original power supply, I think its a heat issue, I use the NUC to run up 5 to 6 virtual machines and it only appears to happen when I have these VMs running, although there is no pattern, sometimes I can have the VMs running for several hours for a reboot occurs or it could be 30 minutes.  If no VMs are running then the issue doesn't present itself. With this in mind I doubt it is a memory problem but I guess I can still test the theory and remove one at a time, I am running x2 16GB SO-DIMMs.

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
              N.Scott.Pearson

If the processor was overheating to the point of thermtrip, the BIOS will indicate so when the system is restarted. Heat can affect other components and lead to failures, however. You should run a program that can monitor your system's temperatures. Something like AIDA64 or HWMonitor or SpeedFan (Note: SpeedFan is in need of a fix to properly work with this NUC; I have informed Alfredo of this and he is working on it).

With the intermittent nature of your issue, my gut is saying it doesn't feel like an overheating issue. It feels more like a bad RAM issue. Have you tried running something like MemTest86+?

...S

• 4. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                hausmeister99

I use this one http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ to monitor the CPU temperature... You can also write a log-file which maybe helps AFTER a crash...

• 5. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                  fryrpc

Could this be related to the Round Trip Memory Optimisation option in the BIOS?

If you have upgraded and then reset the BIOS settings to default this will now be enabled - maybe you could disable it in the BIOS and then report back?

• 6. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                    MartinWheeler

BIOS updated, within minutes of restarting the device rebooted. CPU core temperature maxed out at 70C. I do see the following in the eventvwr, although present before the reboot occurs, neither occur directly before the system reboots:

Event 19, WHEA-Logger

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
                    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
                    Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
                    Processor APIC ID: 1

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Event 47, WHEA-Logger

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: Memory
                    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check

The details view of this entry contains further information.

• 7. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                      MartinWheeler

Apologies, BIOS reconfigured as per suggestion.

• 8. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                        fryrpc

That sounds like the WHEA error.

What BIOS version are you running?

If BIOS v0042 when did you install it and what is the earliest date in EventLog when a WHEA error occurred?

• 9. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                          hegenious

it's not the whea_uncorrectable_error and not fatal as such, but it could evolve into one.

what do your temps read when in BIOS and what BIOS are you on? if not on 0042 I recommend doing so, it may prevent further damage

• 10. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                            hausmeister99

Sorry, in my eyes WHEA is WHEA and you can't say one isn't so worse than another one... https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559509%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I would RMA the NUC...

• 11. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                              Intel Corporation
                              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi,

If you are certainly getting the "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR", please be aware that we are still working on isolating the issue by running failure analysis on affected units (not all units exhibit this issue) and we are posting any progress we make here: FAQ for SY.pdf

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 12. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                                hegenious

well in my eyes it's not that simple.

I'm talking whea uncorrectable error or bug check 124 where Parameter 1 = 0x0, the one that can damage your NUC to the point where it's become impossible to boot your OS (or a LiveCD for that matter).

As opposed to 0x1, 0x2 etcetera ... A corrected machine check exception occurred. <-- seem not fatal.

Parameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3Parameter 4Cause of error

0x0

Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.

High 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had the error.

Low 32 bits of MCi_STATUS MSR for the MCA bank that had the error.

A machine check exception occurred.

These parameter descriptions apply if the processor is based on the x64 architecture, or the x86 architecture that has the MCA feature available (for example, Intel Pentium Pro, Pentium IV, or Xeon).

0x1

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected machine check exception occurred.

0x2

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected platform error occurred.

0x3

Reserved.

Reserved.

A nonmaskable Interrupt (NMI) error occurred.

0x8

Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure

Reserved.

Reserved.

A Scalable Coherent Interface (SCI) generic error occurred.

0x9

Length, in bytes, of the SAL log.

Address of the SAL log.

An uncorrectable Itanium-based machine check abort error occurred.

0xA

Address of WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected Itanium-based machine check error occurred.

0xB

Reserved.

Reserved.

A corrected Itanium platform error occurred.

• 13. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                                  PeeBee

Hi Ivan, this seems to suggest that the WHEA issue is not fully resolved.  Please can you clarify this.

• 14. Re: NUC6i5SYH keeps rebooting
                                    MartinWheeler

Bios version was upgraded last week to the version below.

BoisVer.bmp

CPU Temperatures below:

Performance Monitor.bmp

I hadn't realised but I am also now seeing disk corruption, Windows is self repairing but it appears these sudden reboots are having a detrimental effect. Ivan (Intel) can you please advise on the best way forward. This kit is critical to me at the moment as I am using it to build DEV environments for POCs and demos.

1 2 Previous Next