Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Intel HD 520 crashing often in Win10 new system

idata
Employee

Hi!

I have a new ASUS ZenBook UX303UB laptop with Win10 and switchable HD520 with GeForce 940M and I'm having a very annoying issue that I've seen experienced by other users. With regularity the screen flashes two times and I get two notices that the drivers have failed and recovered. I've updated the Intel HD and Nvidia graphics and the problem continues. No other issues with the system, everything else works perfectly. The issue is annoying when working, I can't find a way to fix it.

Please help!!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, MartinFC:

Could you please fill out the following form Default level information for reporting Graphics issues, and post it here?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Amy, thanks, but your link brings me back to this same thread...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I apologize, please try with this link .

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
TPiro
Beginner

Hi,

I have experienced similar issue. I have been searching for and trying all methods suggested in other threads (updating driver, trying beta version, updating bios etc) but the problem still persists. The fact is I love my new laptop but the flickering display really annoys me. I also work with a program that needs some graphics and it stops working and needs to be started most of the time. My laptop is Dell inspiron 13 7359 with intel HD graphics 520. I tried installing all graphic drivers both from Dell and intel (the latest release for beta I have tried was Beta 15.40.20.4404) or even recovery Windows 10 to factory settings but still no luck. Because MartinFC has most recent post regarding this issue so I think it is better for me to start asking for some advice here.

Should I fill out the same /thread/77761 Default level information for reporting Graphics issues ?

Best,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, please fill it out.

Regards,

Amy.
0 Kudos
TPiro
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Screen is flickering and followed by the message regarding the graphic driver has been stopped and recovered.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Inspiron 13 i7359-8408SLV Signature Edition 2 in 1 PC (with 256 Gb SSD)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-rig...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

FlylingDutch, there is a new driver version available intended to fix this issue; "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered", please give it a try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25948/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], I would recommend installing it with this method http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Amy, one question about the driver link you provided. It links to the download page of driver version 15.40.22.4424. It is dated 4/22. But the web site informs that there is a more recent version of the driver but it links to driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25818/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40- 15.40.18.4380 (seems actually previous) which is dated in March, this is reported to be the latest and this is the one that I'm using. Could you confirm that version 4424 is the one to use instead of 4380 even though Intel's site says 4380 is the latest? (BTW, FlyingDutch actually seems to be using the very driver you are recommending, version 4424).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TPiro
Beginner

Hi MartinFC,

I am now using BETA 15.40.20.4404 version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8.1/10 [15.40] and it also says, when trying to update, that the driver is newer than the one Amy suggested in the previous post. I was also wondering which one is the most dated version.

In any case, I haven't experienced any display flickering in the past few days at all. Before that I have seen this graphic issue all the time. I'm still using this beta version and will also stick with it. Not sure the problem will come back again but you might also want to try this beta version if you are still experiencing the problem.

Best,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi FlyingDutch,

I don't know what I will do. The issue still happens every now and then, but it seems to have disappeared almost entirely. Maybe it is software-related. Last week it happened all the time just when I was working intensively in a long translation (my work) using a software called Wordfast Pro. But I've used it again these last days and no big problems. So I guess it's like many issues, randomly coming and going. For now it seems to be ok, but maybe I'll try this beta driver. Meanwhile, I would like to have more clarity about the latest version of the drivers.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Install the driver that I provided, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25948/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], is in fact the latest.

If you have the previous version, uninstall it with the steps below, and then install the driver manually with the link provided in my previous post;

1. Open the Device Manager using the steps provided for your operating system:
  2. Expand the Display Adapters section.
  3. Find the Intel Graphics Driver. The driver can also be called the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Intel® GMA Driver).
  4. Right click Intel Graphics Driver and select Uninstall.
  5. Select the check box Delete the driver software for this device.
  6. Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, I installed that one manually (but not uninstalling the previous one) from the Device Manager under the Update Driver option and so far so good, but strangely, I wasn't having the error event happening in the last days, it was particularly during one intense work day using a translation memory application called Wordfast Pro 3 that I went almost crazy. But now it seems to be working ok and hopefully with the new driver it will be better. If any problem arises I will let you know. So far, so good for now.

Thank you all!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's good to hear!

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos