5 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2016 4:41 PM by Reach41

Resart the device arduino code is not working on Edison

IoT_srinivas

Hi ,

When we restart the device Arduino code is not working.

Adruino IDE 1.6.8 on Ubuntu 14.04

Firmware Version:159.devkit

Please clarify the above details as earliest.

Regards,

Seinivas

• 1. Re: Resart the device arduino code is not working on Edison
          Ozmo

I too was looking for an answer to this - my, not great, workaround is to use an old firmware 146 - I tried them all and this was the most recent I found this feature (Arduino sketches persisting after a reboot) to still work. Either that or code in another of the supported languages.

Hopefully a newer firmware fixes the issue.

• 2. Re: Resart the device arduino code is not working on Edison
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi IoT_srinivas,

As you can see in the following thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/101198, other users have reported the same issue. That's a known issue with the image version 159.devkit. I recommend you to follow the workaround described here: https://communities.intel.com/thread/77945

Regards,
            Diego

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Resart the device arduino code is not working on Edison
              Reach41

Diego,

Obviously, the Edison selling with the Arduino Breakout board on Sparkfun, and other major outlets, not being able to autoboot Arduino IDE "sketches" from power-on is a serious issue.  Besides just giving fits to roboticists like myself, doesn't it rather nullify the whole IoT idea for people who use this configureation as well?

And, from what I can figure out in the Intel site user blogs, the issue has not been addressed by the Intel team for the better part of a year since it was first discovered.  The work-around described where the 2.1 (ww-18-15) image is reinstalled, files copied onto a thumb drive, and then copied back into flash after updating the image to 3.0, makes it seem like a fix is pretty easily had. 

Maybe you could elevate this?  I am back to running from the 2.1 image download, which most of the time allows autobooting "sketches" on powerup.  However, about once every hour or so of program debugging, I'm back to having to reload 2.1 again to restore the autoboot ability.  I haven't yet figured out what is causing the loss of autoboot, so I'm pretty much dead in the water until I can get a handle on it. 

Thanks

• 4. Re: Resart the device arduino code is not working on Edison
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Reach41,

I understand you completely. The issue has been reported to the team in charge of building the new releases.

So far, there is no fix for this issue yet, just the workaround mentioned above.

Regards,
                Diego

• 5. Re: Resart the device arduino code is not working on Edison
                  Reach41

Thanks for your response, Diego. 

I am running 2.1, and mentioned above that sometimes the board still won't autorun a sketch on reboot without being connected via USB to the computer, and I've discovered my problem.  If I have any code that uses the serial port for sending messages (Serial.begin (115200);  Serial.println("Oooops"); for instance), and don't remove it or comment it out before power cycling on external power, and not connected to the host computer via USB, the program, or the Edison for all I know, hangs right there.  Using the Arduino IDE with an Arduino board, it doesn't matter, so I wasn't expecting this problem.  That might explain why some other people who can't get autoboot of sketches to work after going back to the older image, or doing the work-around, are having problems.

Regards,

Gary