Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20690 Discussions

Surface Pro 3 external monitor refresh rate

DSolo3
Beginner

I would like to set the refresh rate to 60Hz on a Surface Pro 3 (Intel® Core™ i5-4300U Processor) connected to a ASUS PB287Q external monitor. I am using DisplayPort 1.2 with a Accell 1.2 certified cable (DP 1.2). I only see 30Hz refresh rate in the adapter setting for the monitor. The adapter type is Intel (R) HD Graphics Family. Its working at 3840 x 2160 at 30Hz but I would like it to run at 60Hz. The driver date is 18/12/2015. I can't find a later driver on the Intel site. I've tried the closest and the auto utility but they produce an error saying the driver doesn't match the adapter. Microsoft say the Surface Pro 3 with an i5 processor supports that resolution at 60Hz. The ASUS monitor is plug and play - there is no driver. Do you know if there is a later driver or whether its just not designed to do this.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSolo3
Beginner

Although Microsoft document that the i5 and i7 versions of the Surface Pro 3 support 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz, their support have confirmed that it will only go to 30Hz. Some of the SP4s will do this but not the SP3s

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DavidUK,

I am following your case. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Mike C

0 Kudos
RFila
Beginner

4K @ 60Hz is achieveable by MST (Multi Stream Transport) which stitches together two streams of half resolution 60Hz output to fill the full 4K monitor. To accomplish this you need a 4K monitor which specifically supports MST in.

4K @ 50Hz is achievable without MST, by the creation of a custom resolution in Intel's own driver (not Microsoft's version) which can be manually installed. However, since Windows 10 this has not been working due to Intel's Windows 10 driver removing the ability to specify the timing standard for a custom resolution. Further details are at /thread/77777 this post on this forum - it remains unsolved with no feedback from Intel.

Intel, please help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi DavidUK,

Intel is still verifying the possibility to add the custom display resolution. It is necessary to work together with system manufacturers.

Mike C
0 Kudos
RFila
Beginner

Hi Mike C

Are you aware this was working perfectly in Intel's Display Driver for Windows 8.1? This problem has only arisen since you released drivers for Windows 10 which are missing this key functionality. If the driver can't be fixed can you let me know how I could install the Windows 8.1 driver on to Windows 10?

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RichardKT,

The custom display resolution setting in Intel® graphics control panel is not available on Windows 10. It is an OS limitation. Intel is already working with Microsoft on this but we don't have a estimated date for the resolution yet.

Windows 8.1 driver is not compatible with Windows10.

Mike C

0 Kudos
RFila
Beginner

Thanks for the update Mike C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi RichardKT,

You are welcome.

Mike C
0 Kudos