8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2016 11:55 AM by Intel Corporation

Triple display only works when external monitors are connected in a specific order

link626

I've posted something similar recently, but I just wanted to consolidate into one post.

Basically, triple display only works when the first monitor is connected to the laptop's built-in hdmi port first, then the 2nd monitor is connected to the  usb-c-hdmi2.0 adapter.

Any other order, any other configuration involving displayport, will not work.

There's only one way you can get laptop screen + 4k@60hz + 4k@30hz triple display.

Here are my video demos---------

triple display on hdmi ports success - YouTube

triple display fail on hdmi ports. - YouTube

triple display attempt on hdmi and displayport fails #1 - YouTube

triple display attempt on hdmi and displayport fails #2 - YouTube

Dual display works in any configuration.

I bought 3 different adapters to try.

I used a usb-c hdmi adapter made by Kanex which supports 1080p@60hz and 4k@30hz, and set all screens to 1080p.

If the Kanex usb-c adapter is plugged in first, followed by the built-in hdmi port, triple display will not run.

If you reverse the order and plug in the built-in hdmi port first, followed by the Kanex usb-c adapter, then triple display will work.

The third usb-c hdmi adapter is made by Cellet, and it supports 4k@30hz. With this adapter, no matter what order you plug in the external monitors, the screens will blink every few seconds. In this case, Intel graphics control panel detects all 3 displays, but can't stabilize the configuration and keep it from blinking.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Asus G501vw notebook

i7 6700hq, HD530, optimus gtx960m, thunderbolt 3.

ju6500 samsung 4k TV connected to Dell usb-c hdmi 2.0 adapter

AOC U2879G6 4k monitor connected to hdmi 1.4 port

Latest beta intel graphics driver.

Total 3 screens with extended desktop.

Triple display only works when hdmi 1.4 connected first, followed by usb-c-hdmi 2.0.

Any other plug in sequence, even with displayport, results in triple display failure.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
      If you can offer a % rate please do.

every time.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

asus g501vw

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

nv optimus

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP=  SAMSUNG      156HL01-104

EFP1= AOC U2879G6

EFP2= samsung 4k tv unknown panel.

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8gb

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Dell usb-c to hdmi 2.0 adapter. Model #47kd7

Manufacturer Part# : 0M5WX

Dell Part# : 470-ABMZ

18gbps hdmi cables

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

see attached

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

win10 home x64

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

don't see this info anywhere for intel 530.

nvidia Video BIOS Version:  82.07.94.00.0a

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

see attached

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

just windows 10

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

extended across 3 screens or cloned. same result

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

laptop 1080p 60hz

aoc u2879g6 3840x2160 30hz

samsung tv 3840x2160 60hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

power cable plugged in all devices

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  Thesesteps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. see youtube videos linked.
      2. connect first monitor to hdmi 1.4 port, then connect second display to usb-c-hdmi 2.0 port. Triple display works.
      3. Now unplug all the external monitors and start over. Connect first monitor to usb-c-hdmi 2.0 port. Then connect second display to hdmi 1.4 port. Triple display fails.
      4. Substitute usb-c-hdmi with usb-c-displayport, and no matter what order you plug in the external monitors, triple display fails.