9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 8:32 AM by Intel Corporation

Remote Control from Android Devices

SolarPaul

We will be doing some long journeys and the compute sticks look like a great way to have some real PC processing power with light weight. I am particularly interested in getting access to Lightroom and Photoshop (I am a serious enthusiast photographer) but these don't offer full functionality on Android devices.

I see that Intel have a Remote Keyboard App for Android but this doesn't appear to display the screen from the Compute Stick. It seems to assume that the units will be plugged into a TV or other device via HDMI. I would like to use my Android Tablet for display, keyboard and mouse for the Compute Stick, connecting over WiFI from the tablet's "Tethering & WiFi Hotspot" functionality. Is this possible with software from Intel (my preferred option) or will I need to look to 3rd party software?

Thanks in Advance

SolarPaul

• 1. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
          Jean-Paul

Hi   SolarPaul

if you have a pro version of windows running You need the purpose built Android RD Client  (Remote Desktop Client) from Microsoft on the Google Play Store  If you are on windows 8.1 Bing /home, it doen't natively support remote connections (only on Pro ) but there are other apps on the play store and also check this thread it points to various third party apps  How to enable RDP in Windows 7 Home Premium? - Windows 7 - Spiceworks.   or google how to enable remote desktop in windowsXXX

Regards JP

• 2. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
            SolarPaul

Hi Jean-Paul

Thanks for responding but I'm not sure it gets me to a working solution:

• I used RDP/RDC for several years for work and it was a great way to log onto office systems from home. I would be happy to use it here if it works over a local WiFi network (as against the internet)
            • As I understand it from Microsoft, though, the remote PC (here the Intel Compute Stick) must be running Windows Professional (version 8.1 or earlier). Windows 10 is the current release and it doesn't make sense to me to buy a Compute Stick and then try to source an earlier and no longer available version of the operating system to install on it. So I don't think this route is an option unless I am missing something
            • I am aware that there are third party products available and if necessary I will consider them. It seems to me, however, that there is always risk associated with third party products that may or may not be well supported as changes are made to operating systems (both on the remote PC and the connecting [Android] device) etc.
            • I am really in a pre - purchase situation and doing my "homework" before making a decision. It would be good to have well supported software from one of the major suppliers . Not having it is not a deal breaker but it is a factor. I think this is a reasonable avenue to ask of Intel how to access and use this device - not everyone will be planning on using it with a TV
            • 3. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi SolarPaul,

I suggest you, check the system requirements for the applications that you are going run, before you buy any of the Intel Compute Stick, please keep in mind that Intel Compute Stick will need a TV or Monitor, to display the image.

Photoshop System Requirements
              https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
              Lightroom System Requirements
              https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html

Here you can search for any Intel® Compute Stick Specifications.
              http://ark.intel.com/

If there is anything else you need, please let me know.

Regards,
              Hellen.
              • 4. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
                Intel Corporation

Hi SolarPaul,

I have been checking this thread and I was wondering if the information provided helps you.

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
                  SolarPaul

Hi Hellen,

Not really, although I'm still chipping away at it. As I said in my original post the Intel Compute Stick seems to assume that there will either be an HDMI screen or the internet to get access. I want to work stand alone without internet or a third party modem. I want to use my Android tablet as screen and keyboard for the compute stick. So far I haven't been able to work out how to do this with any party's software

Regards

Paul Aroney

• 6. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
                    Intel Corporation

Hi SolarPaul,

According to what I understand, there is not Intel software to control the Intel® Compute Stick desktop remotely. To use the Intel® Remote Keyboard you would need to have the Compute Stick connected to a display.

If you get this connection successful, we would be glad know the procedure for this configuration.
                    Please let us know.

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
                      SolarPaul

Hi Hellen,

Of course I'll be happy to share it I can get it working the way I want, although I am still chuckling to myself to think that Intel would like to know how to do this. I guess I'm asking for something a little unexpected, even though it seems to make a great deal of sense to me given the devices extremely light weight.

I'll let you know how I go

Cheers

Paul

• 8. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
                        Intel Corporation

Hi SolarPaul,

I would be glad if your let us know the outcome.

Regards,
                        Hellen.

• 9. Re: Remote Control from Android Devices
                          Intel Corporation

Hi SolarPaul,

Thought I would just check in and find out if there is any update on this case

Regards,
                          Hellen.