9 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 1:14 PM by allan_intel

RAID 1 Setup Problem

Gary1950

I had to reinstall Win 10, and now am having difficulty in re-setting up RAID 1 in bios. I have an Asus X99 Deluxe MB, an SSD boot drive and two 3 TB HDD that were in RAID prior to the issue with Windows. The three drives show up in the Bios, but when I go to set up the RAID 1 for the two HDDs in the advanced setup and reboot, the system says no boot drive available. The RAID setup shows the RAID drive is bootable, but there is no operating system on the RAID drive. If I go back to ACHI instead of RAID, then the computer boots normally from the SSD. I have updated the Bios and RST to the latest versions. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Please run the following utility and attach the results:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/siu.html

Allan. 

• 2. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
            Intel Corporation

Were you able to get information of the utility?

Allan. 

• 3. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
              Gary1950

Yes I did run the utility. See the results below. It shows a volume E:, which shows as RAID 1 (I actually have two 3GB drives, so hopefully they are working in Raid 1. Intel System Identification Utility Reference Number: 0352 2070 Date Created: Thursday, May 5, 2016 9:24:24 PM ADVANCED SYSTEM INFORMATION Computer Manufacturer  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Computer Model  X99-DELUXE Operating System (O/S)  Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10586), 64-bit Operating System Build (O/S) 10586 Operating System (version)  10.0.10586 O/S Language 0409 System RAM  16 GB .NET Framework Version 3.5.30729.4926 CD or DVD Device  ASUS DRW-24F1ST b System Hard Drive Overview System Total Storage Size: 3.9 TB Local Disk E:\ 2.7 TB Used space: 721.6 GB Free Space: 2.0 TB Local Disk C:\ 231.9 GB Used space: 89.3 GB Free Space: 142.6 GB Memory Detail Total Physical Memory 16 GB Available Physical Memory 12.3 GB Total Virtual Memory 2.0 GB Physical Drive 1 Maker Intel Model Raid 1 Volume Bus Type SATA Physical Drive 0 Maker  Model Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB Bus Type SATA Internet Browser [101] Internet Explorer Internet Browser Version [101] 11.212.10586.0 Internet Browser [102] Firefox Internet Browser Version [102] 45.0.2 GRAPHICS INFORMATION Graphics Product  [1] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Video Memory 4.0 GB Current Graphics Resolution 1920x1200 Current Color Depth 32 Bits Per Pixel MOTHERBOARD INFORMATION Manufacturer  not detected Model  X99-DELUXE AA Number not detected BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc. BIOS Version American Megatrends Inc. 3004 BIOS Release Date 04/08/16 System Memory 16 GB Sound Card NVIDIA High Definition Audio PROCESSOR INFORMATION Manufacturer Intel Model  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz Intel Processor analysis tools Intel Processor analysis tools  CPU Speed 3.0 GHz Link to Processor Specification Link to Processor Specification CPU Revision  CPU Type 00 CPU Family 06 CPU Model 3F CPU Stepping 2 WIRED NETWORKING INFORMATION Wired Networking Product Intel(R)I211basedNetworkController(OEM) Driver Version 12.12.50.6 Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1539&SUBSYS_85F01043&REV_03     WIRELESS NETWORKING INFORMATION Wireless Networking Product  Driver Version  Hardware IDs *TEREDO

• 4. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
                Intel Corporation

Are you able to access CTRL + I? 

There you can set your drives as Non RAID and delete any RAID volume. 
                If possible, please send a picture of the RAID BIOS or CTRL I

Allan. 

• 5. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
                  Gary1950

In Bios, If I turn on Intel Rapid Storage Technology, then I can use Cntrl I to get the screen. However, as mentioned above, the RAID volume shows that it is bootable (which it is not), and when I restart, If will not boot into windows saying that boot device is not found. I cannot capture the screen for the Bios or the Cntrl I, as it has not booted into windows yet,

If I turn Rapid Storage Technology off, and move my SSD to the first boot device, then Win 10 boots up ok.

• 6. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
                    Intel Corporation

Please bear in mind that swapping SATA modes from AHCI, RAID or IDE will require windows to be reinstalled. 

Allan. 

• 7. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
                      Gary1950

I assume that would only apply if I reconfigure my boot drive to RAID (I only have a single SSD for my C: drive). It is my two 3TB HDDs that I want to run in RAID 1. I understand that changing from AHCI on these data drives will result in all data being lost, but I shouldn't have to reinstall Windows if my C: boot drive is not changed. Is that correct?

• 8. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
                        Intel Corporation

You will be changing not only the SATA mode for your RAID level but the computer configuration itself at BIOS level. 
                        Sata modes does not see boot drive or RAID volumes separately.

Allan. 

• 9. Re: RAID 1 Setup Problem
                          allan_intel

Were you able to run the RAID 1?

Allan.