10 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:51 AM by Intel Corporation

Screen goes black randomly with Intel HD 4600 (Laptop)

Del_Emiliano

Hi everyone, i have a little problem with i guess is the graphic's card from my Laptop. I will try to summarize it:

With Windows 7 (a clean install) the screen was turning black and then returns to normal after 1 second (the sound and eveything works on that little second) and sometimes the screen flickers (very instantaneous). This was extremely random (from occurring each 8 hours playing heavy games, to occurring many times in a minute using the Event Viewer from Windows!).

After some time, i have started using Windows 10 (a clean install) and the problem dissapears, but it occurs sometimes with some games (Sims 4, Portal 2, very frequent in Rise of Nations EE). In the Counter Strike Global Offensive the problem stops occuring completely when "Triple Buffer Vsync" is activated (i think this is important). Now it occurs less frequently in those games than before.

The problem is neither the screen flex/cable, the drivers (occurs with new versions or olds) nor the heat/fans.

A friend of mine told me that it's probably the driver from the power supply (giving more Volts than the necessary).

I attach all the files necessary for a diagnosis (with the specs from my Laptop).

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

4600 HD displays , flickers, goes black, artifacts.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?
      If you can offer a % rate please do.

Windows 10: sometimes on some games (each 40 minutes).

Windows 7: very frequent, even on the desktop

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Neither AMD nor NV

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

4GB DDR3 800MhZ

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Hardware Stepping

Software (SW)

Operating System version

Windows 10 Pro up to date

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

Currently on 20.19.15.4331

Also tried with older versions

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Windows 10: Portal 2, Rise of Nations EE, Sims 4.

Windows 7: appears on almost every program

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1366x768 60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  Thesesteps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

Windows 10: Just play Portal 2, Sims 4 or Rise of Natins EE and it happens sometimes.

Windows 7: it's very random.

Thanks in advance (the English is not my native language, expect some typos and errors).