5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2010 9:30 PM by Doc_SilverCreek

Is windows7 is compatible for pentium4 processor???

sir

I have an question that pentium4 processor supports windows7 operating system

• 1. Re: Is windows7 is compatible for pentium4 processor???
          kcampbell

I have two machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on the following hardware

1. 2.6 GHz P4 with Hyperthreading

2. 3 GB of RAM KVR400X64C3AK2/2G  and KVR400X64C3AK2/1G

3. D865PERL Motherboard

4. NVidia FX6200 Video Card 256 MB memory

5. Western Digital Blue 500 GB SATA Hard Drive

6. Pioneer IDE DVD  Burner

7. Linksys  WMP54G PCI based Wireless Networking Card

8. Using OnBoard Audio

Everything is running great.  Not as fast as my Core i7-860 systems running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, but somewhat faster than Windows XP was running on the P4's.

Hope this helps,

Keith

• 2. Re: Is windows7 is compatible for pentium4 processor???
            Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi,

The short answer is yes.

The CPU dosent actually have to support the OS at all really. As long as it is fast enough and meent the minimum requirements for speed of the OS>

What you will need to find out is if your board will support WIN7 (which it won't because it is prob quite old) so you will need to install win7 and then check that win 7 has generic drivers for your components. IF it cant find one or two keep letting it check the web and it should eventually find drivers for all of teh devices

• 3. Re: Is windows7 is compatible for pentium4 processor???
              dtown91

I am in a similar situation.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that I purchased in 2003:

• Intel Pentium 4 Processor (with HT), 80532, 2.8GHz, 512K, 800 Front Side Bus, Socket N
              • Hard Drive, 40G, IDE 7.2K, 80G/P, MXT-APOLLO - already planning to upgrade this.
              • Modem, V92, Internal, Data Fax, Softvoice, Don Julio, AMF
              • CD/DVD+RW..., 4.7, Teac, 8X, DVD+R, CHASSIS 2001...
              • CD/DVD - 7G, 16X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR..., Liteon Chassis 2001, V5
              • Card, Graphics, 512MB, NVidia GForce
              • NEC Floppy Drive, 1.44M, 3.5"  - this could stay or go - I have no use for it anymore.
              • Dimm, 3GB (2x512MB and 2x1GB), 400M, 64X64, 8K, 184

Also, will my kids computer (running Windows XP) still be able to connect to the router through the network on this machine?

I am currently running Win XP SP3 and have been having the BSOD with error codes that lead me to believe I have a driver issue, so I was considering upgrading the HD and OS.

Someone told me that Dell will not provide drivers for some components on these old Dimensions.

What are your thoughts?

• 4. Re: Is windows7 is compatible for pentium4 processor???

It is compatible, I have one Pentium IV HT 3.0 Ghz 800 2Mb 775 Socket on board MSI-7222 PM8PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits OS

80 Gigabites Hard drive.

Nvidia Ge force 6200 512 MB DDRII

Before I had a Pentium D Processor 2.8 GHz and it was giving me problems ( heating to much )

but with this one Pentium 4 HT it is working very good.

• 5. Re: Is windows7 is compatible for pentium4 processor???
                  Doc_SilverCreek

Networking should be no problem.. If you are using file sharing or playing network games, you mayhave to change some of teh win7 firwall setting.

As far as all the drivers go, I would look first then upgrade,On board audio or video tend to be the drivers that are hard to find..