12 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 7:17 AM by Intel Corporation

D54250wyk memory error

Barnard17

I've had a D54250K for a little over a year now running two sticks of 8GB crucial 1600 DDR3L SODIMMs, CT102464BF160B.C16FND and CT102464BF160B.M16FN. No problems with it until I tried to install a different OS (went from Linux Mint to elementaryOS, both based on Ubuntu). I fudged up the install by not setting up an EFI boot partition, but afterwards the NUC also stopped being able to boot from a USB stick. I tried flashing the BIOS to see if something had corrupted there and afterwards it started to not turn on at all and give the RAM error power light flashes. Also tried resetting the CMOS by unplugging the battery, leaving it off for half a day and plugging it back in, still getting the memory error response.

The memory isn't at fault - I tested both sticks separately and together in a laptop which worked fine, and they're now running a D34010WYK which is running elementaryOS without problem - again after testing them separately and together. Is the 54250 now fully bricked or is there something I can do to get it running again?

• 1. Re: D54250wyk memory error
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Barnard17,

Could you please let me know how many light flashes are you getting when you press the start button?
          I suggest you to try one RAM at the time on the Intel® D54250WYK to see if you can get into the BIOS.

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: D54250wyk memory error
            Barnard17

Hi Hellen thanks for your reply. I get three flashes and then a pause, then three flashes and a pause etc. I've tried each stick separately in the top and bottom slots and had the same response each time (RAM error power light blinks, no BIOS). As mentioned the RAM is working fine in the D34010wyk.

Sam

• 3. Re: D54250wyk memory error
              ron8575

Barnard17,

I hope I'm not bothering but I read you have successfully installed and run Linux Mint on the D54250WYK.

Just out of curiosity, did you run into any screen tearing problems with the Intel HD5000 graphics? If so, then how did you manage to solve it?

In my experience, only Ubuntu and Fedora have worked flawlessly with Intel graphics.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                Barnard17

Hi Ron,

I was running Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon desktop, primarily for Kodi as a media centre and didn't run into any screen tearing problems. This may be because of my limited use of the Intel graphics though, as I wasn't doing anything particularly taxing on it. I recall I did have an issue with previous OS I'd tried out on it with permanent misalignment of a lower section of the screen - I think that was on Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 - but Mint not having any such problem was why I settled on that. Sorry I can't be more help

Sam

• 5. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                  ron8575

Right Barnard, thank you for your feedback, though I find an i5u too overkill for HTPC or Kodi. I have my D54250 as my main web-browsing/P2P/file-server machine, very satisfied as it draws very little power for 24/7 usage (about 12~15 watts while torrenting).

I even tried Kodi in Mint and strangely it's the only video player I had no such screen tearing issues aside other Linux flavors. I'm currently using KDE/Unity as my main DE's as they work perfectly with Intel HD5000 graphics, without any screen tearing or misalignments of any sort.

Hope you can solve all your problems here.

• 6. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Ron8575,

I suggest you to contact us by phone to make a replacement for that NUC
                    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

If there is anything else you need, please let me know.

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                      ron8575

Hellen,

No need for replacements now, thanks.

Never even suggested a replacement in the first place, though I'd greatly appreciate a replacement with something newer and better.

I believe this is a lack of driver support by Intel Corp. when it comes to Linux drivers, not a hardware bug (my unit is working fine).

So let's push for better Linux support with these NUCs, as they are perfect little machines for Linux, not Windows.

Long Live Open Source!

• 8. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Ron8575,

Let me see what else I can do for you.

Regards,
                        Hellen.

• 9. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                          rgnm

Hello ron8575,

I'm a Linux user also.

Just to confirm. Is your USB stick formatted in FAT32?

A couple of days ago, I was trying reinstall Linux in my NUC. After a couple of failed attempts, I realized that the USB stick was formatted in NTFS and in this condition was not able to install the Linux Image.

I formatted the USB stick in FAT32 and it worked.

Hope you can fix your issue.

Regards

• 10. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                            ron8575

It has nothing to do with USB sticks or OS installation.

As I said, it is a lack of driver support for Linux.

All the mentioned Linux distros have been successfully installed on this NUC.

I got nothing else to say other than Intel should pay a little more attention to the Linux community which is growing!

That's it!

• 11. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Ron8575

Intel has a special website where we put altogether open source work that Intel engineers are involved in. https://01.org/

Intel does provide development drivers for Intel® graphics to the open source community. These development drivers are intended to provide the Linux developer community with an opportunity to provide feedback on the driver and participate in its development. Most versions of the Linux* operating system include Intel® graphics drivers. Intel recommends checking with your Linux distribution vendor for precompiled driver packages.

Development driver source code can be obtained from public repositories found in the Downloads section of the Linux and Intel graphics website.
                              https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Development driver support is only available through the open source community. See the Community section of the Linux and Intel graphics website.
                              https://01.org/linuxgraphics/community

Intel Linux graphics is an open source project where all of our development is done in the open on our mailing lists and public git repositories. We encourage you to participate in this Intel® Graphics for Linux* Project.
                              https://01.org/linuxgraphics

Let me know if this information helps you.

Regards,
                              Hellen.

• 12. Re: D54250wyk memory error
                                Intel Corporation

Hi Ron8575,

I’m just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved, and if the information provided above helps you.

Regards,
                                Hellen.