Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel hd graphics 520 won't run program that older Intel graphics card will

RButl
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Intel hd graphics 520 card on new windows 10 Dell inspiron 5559 will not run 3D cad program for 3d printing called 123D design. Driver is 20.19.15.4300. 123D design will run on older Dell Inspiron n5110 with Intel hd 3000 graphics card in both windows 7 and windows 10. Driver for that card in windows 7 is 9.17.10.2843. Driver for that card in windows 10 is 9.17.10.4229.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

100%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel hd graphics 520, not sure if it corresponds to hybrid or switchable, no AMD or NV additional cards

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)<p style="font-...
0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

Please download and run our system tool "Intel® System Support Utility" and send me the results of it. I will try to solve the issue.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

Hello,

I have downloaded and run the program, how do I send you the results?

I have saved a copy of the XML file, but this reply box will only let me upload a picture or a video. The other option is to submit to customer service site, and when I get there it wants me to create a new service request, but I came to this forum because I was told to do so by someone who is already working on a service request of mine (00354929), and I am thinking that I maybe misunderstood what he was telling me to do to start with, and don't want to make all of the Intel staff work on this issue. How would you like me to send the results? Should I go back to the service request I have opened and upload the xml file there? Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

Please do the following.

How to attach a file

Click reply

On upper right corner click Use advanced editor

Lower right section click Attach

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

Mike,

Here it is. Thanks

0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

By the way, I wrote out a detailed description in the case that I reference above. If you would like some more info, are you able to access that case?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

I am going to perform a test in our lab with this software. Please give me 24 to 48 hours.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

I did a test in 2 laptops with i5 and i7 of 6 gen Core® processors. At the begin, I had a similar problem. The software stopped working without any error code.

I updated Windows® 10, the OS updated the graphics and chipset drivers and 123D design is working properly now.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

Is the update you are talking about (windows icon > settings > update & security > windows updates). I know that while I was trying to get the program to work, I made sure that windows updates said that my computer was up to date. I will go home and see if a new update is available that solves the problem.

Did the update you did say that the graphics driver and chipset driver got updated? What are the new driver numbers for the graphics card and chipset that are causing the computer to run 123d design now?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

Windows® 10 update installed the graphics version 20.19.15.4360. I used a Hewlett Packard laptop.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

Did not work, no update available, last update happened on 4/13 and did not update the graphic driver. Also, I already tried installing drivers other than 20.19.15.4300 with the tech I was talking to on case 00354929, and that did not work, you can reference that case for all the info.

With that I now have a bunch of questions.

-Do the HPs that you were using have an intel 520 card and no additional cards on them?

-Before you updated windows on the HPs, when 123d design was not working, was the driver on those laptops 20.19.15.4300? If so, is it possible to go back and test that driver to figure out why it does not work as my computer does not want to update to a different driver.

-Windows, as well as dell on their website, says that 20.19.15.4300 is the best driver. So how does windows/dell/whoever else define what is the best driver?

-The tech I spoke with on case 00354929 said that you guys (Intel) supply the card, and the drivers for it to the purchaser (Dell), and they may modify those drivers to fit their needs. So how does one determine if driver 4300 is dell exclusive, or 4360 is hp exclusive, or if they are both universal drivers, and what it is about the driver on my computer that is causing problems?

-If it is simply a matter of that my computer needs driver 4360, can you (Intel) contact Dell and tell them they need to update default drivers for computers like mine.

I have already contacted dell, and been informed that they are not interested in helping me, as the inability to run a program that ran on older models of theirs is not considered a warranty worthy thing. For that I am really glad that you guys are at least standing by your product and trying to help me figure this out.

Do you not have any Dells to test?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

Yes, it is correct. Pre-build systems such as your Dell Inspiron 5559 comes with customized drivers by your pc manufacturer.

I tested with a Dell laptop 5559 but, this model has Hybrid graphics Intel® HD graphics 520 and AMD Radeon R5 M335. I updated Windows® 10 and you are right the current driver for HD 520 is 20.19.15.4300.

Your laptop is almost new, so I am pretty sure, Dell will release a newer driver soon. I tried the manual driver installation but it didn't work. You can try as part of the troubleshooting.

How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 & Windows 8* or Windows 8.1*

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

Yeah, I've tried manual installation with the tech on case 00354929, and that didn't work. The computer is pretty attached to the current driver, any attempt to install another and I get a message saying the driver is not validated for the computer.

I am going to try to go back to Dell, just wondering, was the driver on the HPs before the update 20.19.15.4300 or another driver?

Even if the drivers on the HP and the Dell you are testing are customized form the vendor, is there any way that you can continue testing the program on the two computers, and try determine what the bug is in the 20.19.15.4300? And then pass that information onto Dell?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

I will try to determine the bug from my side; try to push Dell to release a newer driver.

Mike C

0 Kudos
RButl
Beginner

Mike,

Thank you for your help, I went back to Dell and pressed the issue. I guess I just needed to push the issue a bit, and be specific that what was needed was a driver upgrade. With that they looked up and found that they are indeed working on an upgraded driver, they just do not have it done yet and were not sure when it will be done, they were saying hopefully in a month. Hopefully that will solve the problems.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi rb57,

Your are welcome.

Mike C
0 Kudos