2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 3:31 PM by Intel_Alvarado

Sparkfun Base Block USB Host Mode

Kekahuna

Hello,

I am using the Sparkfun base block SparkFun Block for Intel® Edison - Base - DEV-13045 - SparkFun Electronics and I am trying to use a USB Camera with my Edison but it seems like it isn't working properly. Running the lsusb command returns "unable to initialize libusb: -99". Running dmesg | tail returns "pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: USB ID Detected. Notifying OTG driver" but nothing else following that (no mention of USB VBUS detection). Some further information about my configuration:

• I'm using Yocto image 2.1 (3.0 was giving me problems)
      • UVC drivers are up to date
      • The camera I'm using is: Amazon.com : ELP 2.1mm Lens 1080p HD Free Driver USB Camera Module for Linux ELP-USBFHD01M-L21 : Camera & Photo
      • Power is being supplied through the console USB port and the camera is connected to the OTG port. I have verified that the cable that I have is indeed an OTG cable (pins 1 and 2 are grounded).
      • I know that on the Arduino board and the Intel mini-breakout board, 7-15V external power is required to run the Edison in host mode; however, the base block does not have access to this. There is no breakout for external power like pin J21 on the mini-breakout board.
        • I've seen on these forums that others have been successful running USB OTG devices using 5V/1A USB power through Console.
      • I can't get any USB device to work properly through the OTG port (Camera, flash drives, etc.).
      • After reading the forum post USB Host mode from boot, I've tried booting up with different configurations (USB OTG device connected while booting, OTG device disconnected while booting, etc.) but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
      • Running ls /dev only shows usbmon0 and does not show usbmon1 or usbmon2 as it should according to Intel Edison USB host mode.

I'm at a loss as to why I can't seem to get the Edison to work as a host. I'd rather not change my Edison breakout if I don't have to. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Sparkfun Base Block USB Host Mode
          Intel_Alvarado

Hi,

After reading all the threads you posted and researching about host mode you can tell most suggestions are for either the Arduino board or the mini breakout board. The suggestions are often applied to the specific baseboard and include most things you already mention in the description of the thread such as making sure you’re using an OTG cable, power the board correctly, make sure switches are in proper position, etc. For this specific Sparkfun board it’s hard to tell if host mode is possible. If more power can’t be applied through USB or externally then host mode won’t be likely to work.

Have you tried to contact Sparkfun support to see if they provide an alternative solution to use USB host mode?

Sergio

• 2. Re: Sparkfun Base Block USB Host Mode
            Intel_Alvarado

Were you able to use the Sparkfun Base Block in host mode? Did you contact Sparkfun Support?

Sergio