11 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2016 10:37 AM by jinzai

Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM

KS_Nathan

I have been working on galileo and GSM module for the past week and above, using C,C++(arduino) but I haven't done any progress yet(I am still working though).However, I simultaneously wanted to gather Information on any node.js libraries out there for GSM-galileo.

Has anybody worked on it specifically using the library?If so please voice out you suggestions, I would appreciate it greatly.

• 1. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
          FGT

Hi @KS_Nathan,

KS_Nathan wrote:

I have been working on galileo and GSM module for the past week and above, using C,C++(arduino) ...

(a little bit off topic but...) Did you start a thread on "C++(arduino)"? just in case, take a look at GSM Controlled Star Light – A Galileo Project from the team at Arduino

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
            KS_Nathan

Hey Fernando, yes I started the thread on arduino, but the thing is that galileo does not support ethernet library but yes the GSM works fine.

Secondly, I am looking for suggestions in C programming (Eclipse) so if you have checked out my attachement code then it would be kind of you to provide some suggestions.

Thirdly, I do not want to keep spending too much time on C,C++ hence I have started this thread so that I can take the best of the three.

Fourthly, Yes I have had taken a look at the project which u have linked above, but it is still being performed using arduino,I need something which is a combination of ethernet and GSM so if you have any projects/videos/examples specific to intel galileo ethernet using arduino IDE, which you could share then it would be nice.

regards

Nathan

• 3. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
              FGT

Hi Nathan,

KS_Nathan wrote:

Hey Fernando, yes I started the thread on arduino, but the thing is that galileo does not support ethernet library ..

Hmm... I do not get this... maybe some details are left inconsistent, but most of the ethernet library works...  take a look at Galileo 1 Connection Through Ethernet Cable. I think we agreed on some library problems, e.g. Galileo causing problem with arduino ethernet library, but that's a "minor" library function, most of the library works as expected. I've used it without problems so far.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                FGT

Hi Nathan,

if you have any projects/videos/examples specific to intel galileo ethernet using arduino IDE, which you could share then it would be nice.

Take a look at Re: Galileo 1 Connection Through Ethernet Cable, I've added a webserver using the Galileo Ethernet, which is intended to be a "mixed" (and hopefully better) Etherner-WiFi webserver from examples/public domain. I did not included screenshots, but it works at least in my laptop  : )

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                  KS_Nathan

hey I am trying an alternative which is to use a wiznet shield.But I am still encountering junk values(See the snap shot)

I am using the EthernetShield Library for this purpose

Any reasons why I am getting such junks?Any way out using the shield as the LAN port?Screenshot from 2016-04-21 11:30:44.png

• 6. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                    FGT

I would not use a shield for hardware already available, which also does not need to use any extra hardware as the shield does (SPI, in this case). It does not make sense to me... maybe I'm missing something (please explain, if that's the case). If you need to use Ethernet, then use the Ethernet already available in Galileo. If you are still having problems with the Gelileo Ethernet, please open another thread and most likely we'll try to help, and remember: trying to use Ethernet other than that already available in Galileo is a waste of time for me (and again, if I'm missing something, please explain).

Fernando.

• 7. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                      KS_Nathan

Hey have found a temporary solution for it.And it is kind of working as of now.But I wanted to know whether it is possible to create threads using arduino IDE in intel galileo.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Nathan

• 8. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                        FGT

KS_Nathan wrote:

Hey have found a temporary solution for it.And it is kind of working as of now.But I wanted to know whether it is possible to create threads using arduino IDE in intel galileo.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Nathan

I don't know exactly what you mean by "create threads using arduino IDE" ... it is possible to create linux processes in Arduino by using system() as many times as you need. Each process can have one or many threads, of course, as standard in Linux.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 9. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                          Intel Corporation
                          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi KS_Nathan,

Do you still need help with this thread, were you able to follow Fernando’s suggestion?

There are a few threads in the community that discuss multithreading, some you might find useful are
                          https://communities.intel.com/message/361111#361111
                          https://communities.intel.com/message/311316#311316

Sergio

• 10. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                            KS_Nathan

Nope I had solved my problem using protothreading in arduino IDE.But anyways I had initially planned of using Fernando's suggestion

Nathan

• 11. Re: Any relevant Node.js libraries for GSM
                              jinzai

NPM is the package manager for nodejs. There are dozens of packages available -- plenty for the GSM modules available. Since this is a modem -- the code is old school serial port code and using that in the more modern systems is very confusing. First of all, the data is UTF-8 and it maps to 7 bit ASCII -- when you are communicating with the modem in command mode. At any rate, I can probably get you started talking to the modem and plying its API -- I did a lot of 'hand-coding' with an Arduino MegaADK and a SIM900 shield I have. I use a wireless network on my Galileo, so I really have no need of using a GSM modem, but -- it is an interesting challenge and I worked with modems a lot in the 1990s -- they have not changed much at all, really. Still use the Hayes SmartModem "AT" commands, more or less.

Here is a link to NPM. Type "gsm" in the search bar and it will return several packages...

https://www.npmjs.com/