5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2010 1:01 PM by dmka

DQ45CB - Managemet Engine (AMT) Firmware lost after BIOS update

dmka

Hi!

After updating the DQ45CB with latest BIOS v. 0111 and then downgrading to v. 0107 the Management Engine disappeared. The BIOS Additional System Information shows Intel ME firmware version 0.0.0.0. and Ctrl+P prompt is not shown.

Upgrading back, downgrading , flashing with iflash2, flashing form Windows, clearing CMOS, running config mode doesn't help. Emergency recovery doesn't work at all (flash drive is initialized, but nothing happens).

Is there a way to re-flash the Intel Management Engine Firmware?

P.S. I downgraded to 0107 because 0111 worked really slow with Win7 x64.

I confirm the issue described here: http://communities.intel.com/message/80656

• 1. Re: DQ45CB - Managemet Engine (AMT) Firmware lost after BIOS update
          arnd

At least with bios 109 the ME menu moved into the Bios. Did you look there?

If I remember correctly there is a screen with a password prompt for the ME, after entering the pass, new menu points appear where you can configure the ME.

Best regards,

Arnd

• 2. Re: DQ45CB - Managemet Engine (AMT) Firmware lost after BIOS update
            dmka

I seen the ME Change Password menu first time I flashed 0111. Now it doesn't show up in both 0109 and 0111. Additional System Information entry in BIOS shows Intel ME firmware version 0.0.0.0

Another detail - BIOS Hardware Monitoring shows N/A for all items.

The whole history was something like this:

0. Originally mobo had BIOS version 0065(?)

- Win7 x64 freezes shortly after start with both Intel GMA and ext. Nvidia GeForce 210 videos turned on.

1. Flashed 0111

- Noted extremely bad performance in Win7 x64.

2. Flashed 0109 using usb flash

- The system doesn't start

2.1 Cleared CMOS

- The system doesn't start

3. Flashed 0109 using emergency recovery procedure from usb drive.

- The system partially recovered

- There is no ME firmware and Ctrl+P is not shown

- BIOS hardware monitoring shows N/A for all values

- Emergency recovery is not seem to be working anymore

4. Flashed 0111, 0109, 0093(?)

- No success

P.S. Removing external video card doesn't help too.

Thanks,

dmka

• 3. Re: DQ45CB - Managemet Engine (AMT) Firmware lost after BIOS update
              arnd

Sorry, I have no idea then. I would have thought, that complete ME is overwritten when flashing

new firmware. Only config is stored somewhere else, I think. Maybe if it is just the config

which is borked you could try to start in maintenance mode, "unprovision" ME and reflash

once again with 109, if you did not already do that.

Another option:

At least with iflash2 under dos there is a command line switch "force factory defaults" or something like that, however I don't know if this only resets bios config ...

Good luck

• 4. Re: DQ45CB - Managemet Engine (AMT) Firmware lost after BIOS update
                dmka

I tried already both unprovision and iflash2 /f without any success.

AFAIK iflash2 doesn't update management firmware module.

The only way is to use recovery procedure

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm

However it doesn't work with my mobo for some reason (I guess emergency recovery is handled by missing ME module ).

I will try to burn an iso and use dvd instead of usb flash...

• 5. Re: DQ45CB - Managemet Engine (AMT) Firmware lost after BIOS update
                  dmka

Ok, I finally resolved the problem by flashing BIOS 0115 using emergency recovery procedure. The first try failed but the second one succeeded. I have AMT back now, however got another issue with add-on PCIe video card.