Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Dell XPS 13 9350 buzzing noise caused by Intel HD Graphics 520 driver

TMonk
Beginner

(See also reddit "Dell XPS 13 9350 Buzzing Noise?" especially the description posted there by lixl03)

Affected drivers:

Intel HD Graphics 520 driver version 20.19.15.4331

Intel HD Graphics 520 driver version 20.19.15.4390

Brand-new Dell XPS 13 9350 makes a moderately quiet but very annoying buzzing sound with any graphical change on the screen. Hover over a toolbar icon and it highlights - BUZZ!, then the tooltip text appears - BUZZ! Open a website with moving graphics, continuous BUZZZ!

Using Device Manager, I uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver (ver. 20.19.15.4331). The device rolled back to a generic Windows video driver, and the noise was completely gone. I rebooted the device and within a few minutes the buzz was back. I checked - and Windows 10 had updated the driver back to the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver (ver. 20.19.15.4331) Next, I went to the Dell support site and used my Dell Service Tag to locate the recommended driver, which is ver. 20.19.15.4390. I installed this, but the buzzing noise persists.

Dell XPS 13 9350 shipped from Dell on April 10, 2016

BIOS & Windows fully updated after unboxing

Windows 10 x64

Non-touch screen

8GB onboard memory

128GB SSD

Intel i5 processor

13.3" (1920x1080)

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tragicmonkey049,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Please try downloading and installing the driver from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88355 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88355

I suggest uninstalling the Intel driver you have installed first and then install the Beta driver from the link I have posted above.

Please see http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
TMonk
Beginner

Thank you Ivan, but: not fixed.

I uninstalled the existing Intel HD Graphics 520 driver using the Device Manager method described in your uninstall link. Again I confirmed the buzzing noise is gone when the device rolls back to the Microsoft generic driver. I installed the beta driver in your link, and the buzzing noise returned, same as before. I am happy to try again if you have another driver version ...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can try the latest generic driver; you can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25818/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88355 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25818/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88355

This is not a Beta driver is the official one.

Please bear in mind that we have tested this driver many times and we have not experience this issue, at this point I would suggest you to contact your laptop manufacturer and ask them to do a test with a laptop similar like the one you have to see if they experience the same issue, to me this could be power supply issues or grounding but I can't confirm it

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
TMonk
Beginner

Rolled back to Microsoft Generic Graphics Driver. (Including erasing prior driver software).

Buzzing noise gone.

Installed latest generic driver, version: 15.40.18.64.4380

Buzzing noise returns as soon as the screen flashes after install. Persists after restart.

Dell has agreed for me to return the device.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you ask DELL to do the test or they confirmed they get the same problem?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
TMonk
Beginner

Dell shipped a new unit, which resolved the problem.

The new device has Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 driver version 20.19.15.4331 installed.

To be more detailed: The buzzing noise is there, but can only be heard in a completely silent room with my ear a few cm away from the Esc key. I consider this "resolved." But I am a little worried that it may intensify over time if a mechanical connection issue is part of the cause...

0 Kudos
TMonk
Beginner

One month follow up: No noise problems at all.

Not sure why replacing the unit fixed the issue, perhaps the Intel Graphics driver pushes hardware performance more than the generic Microsoft video driver, and some units have a hardware flaw that amplifies the buzz up to audible level with the added load? Regardless, I consider this resolved. Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm glad that this issue has been resolved and I appreciate you have taken your time to let me know the issue has been resolved.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
TWang29
Beginner

I just received my Dell XPS 9350 today. Same issue using same drivers as mentioned by tragicmonkey049.

Dell XPS 13 9350 shipped from Dell on April 18, 2016

BIOS & Windows fully updated after unboxing

Windows 10 x64

Touch screen

16GB onboard memory

512GB SSD

Intel i7 processor

13.3" (4K)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In this case, if the problem gets worse please let me know to see what else we can do for you.

I hope from now on you can have a better experience with this unit and with the Intel® graphics.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos