6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 10:50 PM by jinzai

NodeJS Updates

Jeff_at_Skunkworxlab

Has anyone heard when NodeJS on this platform is going to get somewhat up to date with NodeJS features.  Right now the enforcement of Strict mode just heavily limits what npm packages can be used.

Thanks

• 1. Re: NodeJS Updates
          xbolshe

Hi,

in my understanding the strict mode shows how many errors and potential future incomapibilities are in packages.

A good article about is there: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/br230269

Regarding NodeJS version it is not up to date in the official SD card images now.

But it is possible to use newer nodejs version in own SD card image:

node5.png

BR,

xbolshe

• 2. Re: NodeJS Updates
            jinzai

I am certain that, like most things about Galileo -- the limitation is there with good reason. I use shelljs, ftp, es6-promise and libxmljs in addition to the standard ones, like mraa. There isn't much space in the root filesystem, I think that needs to be addressed before trying to install a lot of heavy packages. I cannot even update the app daemon without resorting to manual procedures.

• 3. Re: NodeJS Updates
              xbolshe

A rootfs size limitation is not a problem for me. Now I use 1Gb rootfs. And it may be increased as needed up to file system's limits.

sizefs.png

BTW, it is not a problem to connect HDD or SSD drive to Galileo and use it as rootfs.

BR,

xbolshe

• 4. Re: NodeJS Updates
                jinzai

I was considering taking the HDD/SSD route, as well. I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and am in the process of setting up the build environment for Galileo. The ftp module I got at npm was useful to connect Galileo to my terabyte drive on my router, too. I am still using node.js .0.10.35

Where did you obtain that Yocto version? Your system looks very modified compared to mine. Nice touch with the temperature, is that also from node.js?

• 5. Re: NodeJS Updates
                  xbolshe

Hi,

I made it by myself based on Intel's BSP. No, it is from bash.

BR,

xbolshe

• 6. Re: NodeJS Updates
                    jinzai

That's what I figured -- I now have the Yocto build installed and working....now for the BSP. I haven't used bash much yet, but I have used Python and node scripts. I like the idea of the data collection happening in a separate process. I like your work alot, thanks for sharing.