6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 6:51 PM by Intel Corporation

How to reset bios?

mrLivio

I have dedicated 1GB of video ram from bios, now no longer opens the bios and I can not reset it: I tried moving the jumper and disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.
      How to reset? (NUC6i3SYH)

• 1. Re: How to reset bios?
          RAMACHANDRA.MALAYANUR

Hi,

Please try to remove CMOS battery

For many laptops, you can access the CMOS battery from a removable panel on the bottom of the laptop. If there is no panel available, you will most likely need to disassemble the laptop to access it.

Remove the CMOS battery. The battery is typically located near your PCI slots, but may be in different locations depending on the manufacturer of your motherboard. It may be hidden by expansion cards and cables. The battery is usually a standard 3V, round, flat watch battery (CR2032).

Press your power button. Press and hold the power button on your computer for about 10-15 seconds (nothing should happen because the power is turned off). This will discharge any remaining power stored in the capacitors. By discharging the power, the CMOS memory will reset, thereby resetting your BIOS.

Reinsert the CMOS battery. Carefully reinsert the CMOS battery back into its housing. Make sure that you have put the battery in the right direction. The slightly smaller side should be facing down. 

• Close your case back up after reinserting the battery.

Power on your PC. Press the front Power button. You will need to enter your BIOS and reconfigure all of the settings, including the time, date, and boot order. 

• 2. Re: How to reset bios?
            mrLivio

HI, procedures already performed.

I must conclude that devoting 1gb of ram to video, is spoiled irreparably?

• 3. Re: How to reset bios?
              Mr.IoT

I have the exact same problem as mrLivio. Brand new Intel NUC 6i5SYH. On first boot, I went into the visual BIOS. The only setting I changed was to increase the video RAM and aperture to 1GB. Device has 32GB of DDR4 RAM installed. Upon reboot, the NUC refuses to display anything. There is no video output so I cannot enter the BIOS to reset it. I've tried moving the jumper to pins 2-3 and powering on to reset it. Also tried removing the CMOS battery. Tried switching RAM modules. Nothing works. Device powers on, but no video is displayed, making the device unusable.

It's going back to Intel if I can't find a solution soon. What's the proper way to reset the BIOS if the video output is not working? And why is the video output broken when changing to 1GB?

• 4. Re: How to reset bios?
                Mr.IoT

After spending 4 hours trying everything imaginable, I finally got the BIOS recovered. I partially followed these instructions:

Intel® NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions

Here were the exact steps I followed:

1. Disconnect NUC and open chassis

2. Remove the BIOS jumper and set it aside

3. Replace the chassis cover

4. Using another computer and an empty USB flash drive formatted with FAT32, download the latest BIOS for the NUC (0042 for mine at time of writing) and copy the .BIO file to the root of the USB flash drive

5. Insert USB flash drive into one of the front USB ports on the NUC (left front in my case)

6. Reconnect power, video, keyboard/mouse to NUC

7. Power on the NUC

8. After 30 seconds or so, it should display a text-based BIOS recovery screen (not the visual BIOS)

9. BIOS recovery should proceed automatically - no keyboard interaction required

10. After recovery completes, BIOS should be upgraded to the latest version (0042 in my case)

11. Power off the NUC

12. Open chassis, replace the BIOS jumper to pins 1-2 (Normal), and close chassis

13. Reconnect power, video, keyboard/mouse

14. Power on the NUC

15. You should see the NUC logo and hit F2 to enter visual BIOS

BiosRecovery.jpg

• 5. Re: How to reset bios?
                  mrLivio

SOLVED easily downloading Recovery BIOS Update [SY0042.BIO] and putting the single file into an empty USB key:

1. Disconnect NUC and open chassis

2. Remove the BIOS jumper

3. Reconnect power

4. Power on the NUC

5. After 30 seconds or so, it should display a text-based BIOS recovery screen (not the visual BIOS)

6. BIOS recovery should proceed automatically - no keyboard interaction required

7. Power off the NUC
                  8. Disconnect NUC

9. Replace the BIOS jumper to pins 1-2 (Normal), and close chassis

10. Reconnect

11. Power on

12. You should see the NUC logo and hit F2 to enter visual BIOS

SY0042 It's already set to default 1GB video.. but adjusts the time and date special thanks to Mr.IoT

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to reset bios?
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, mrLivio:

I am glad to hear that you were able to get this fixed in your system, and I thank you for letting us know how it was the procedure performed, certaintly it will work for other users.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,
                    Esteban C