5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 11:33 AM by Intel Corporation

D5W4250 LAN died

markolbert

The LAN on an i5 NUC that I bought in August, 2014 suddenly died the other night. I've confirmed this is not a cabling problem -- another computer plugged into the same ethernet jack with the same cable has full network access. I can also get network access via a USB wifi dongle. So the problem seems to be in either the LAN drivers or the LAN hardware itself.

I downloaded and installed the latest gigabit LAN drivers (the OS is Windows 10 64 bit, btw, with all updates installed). Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. I've tried disabling and enabling the connection, and that didn't solve it, either. The connection just shows "cable unplugged".

What are the next steps to resolve this problem? Frankly, if it's a hardware problem, I'm going to be pretty peeved -- I can't remember the last time something as basic as an ethernet "card" died on me. It's been at least 15 or more years.

- Mark

• 1. Re: D5W4250 LAN died
          dougho

I am not from Intel, but network ports at my church are often the first thing to get "zapped" during thunderstorms (ethernet seems to be more sensitive than any other connections).  Consider looking at network port LEDs on back of the NUC and/or whatever you are plugging into (switch/router) - if the LEDs don't light then it is probably hardware rather than drivers.  My workaround when some PC's built-in port gets "zapped" is to use a USB-Ethernet dongle or Wi-Fi if appropriate (my trouble also happens just as often on the other end such as switch/router/modem, which are typically more expensive to replace).

• 2. Re: D5W4250 LAN died
            markolbert

Appreciate the feedback, but the tests I did already confirmed it's a problem with either the NUC hardware or software, and probably the hardware.

Which led me to a less than enjoyable experience with the Intel support site, which I've documented here: They Have World Class Talent and >>This Support Site?!?

• 3. Re: D5W4250 LAN died
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Markolbert,

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experience in our website.
              I just send you a PM please check your inbox.

Regards,
              Hellen.

• 4. Re: D5W4250 LAN died
                MrMitch

The next questions to ask is: did you try connecting with Wi-Fi on the same NUC?  Do the LEDs on the LAN port light up and flash when the cable is plugged in?  If not then it is dead.  if they do then it is software or your router maybe?. When you installed the new drivers, did you uninstall the old drivers first?

• 5. Re: D5W4250 LAN died
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi,

Thanks MrMitch, Markolbert could you get in contact with our Intel® Contact Center?

Regards,
                  Hellen.