8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 10:59 AM by Intel Corporation

DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error

Etech

I just bought this new R9 380 4gb because my old HD 5770 was not able to run recent games.

What a pleasure it is to unbox a new GPU...even more when you buy only one every 5 years!!!

Also, i checked my computer specs on multiple forums to make sure it would be fine with this card and it seemed like a good idea. Well, maybe i should think twice next time, cause this board wont even boot BIOS with this card pluged in...

I just used all the money i had saved ...for nothing.

I tried resetting CMOS, playing with jumper on normal mode, config mode. recovery...i check Bios and its already flashed to most recent version...

There is nothing else to try except this UEFI boot option i heard somewhere it might work...but im on Win 7..should i try that?

Seriously, it HAS to work. Intel has to do something about that and i know i am not the only one in this situation.

Thank you.....

• 1. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
          Al Hill

Old motherboard, new graphics card - the problem here is incompatibility.

Get a newer board, or older graphics card.  Not much else you can do, in my opinion.

Doc

• 2. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
            Etech

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply

I think this is really unnaceptable.. My motherboard has a PCI-E 16x slot. The card requires a PCI-E slot to work.

Intel has to update the bios so it can work, its not normal...if i had an Asus board, trust me it would work no problem. Its pretty clear to me that Intel did not do their job here. I mean, its not like its something impossible to fix, they just need to work a little bit on an update and put it on the website. That would be the MINIMUM to respect their clients.

I am very dissapoint right now, i will never buy anything Intel again. I will keep an eye on this major problem and see if  i can start a "recall process" (sorry for my english i dont know how to call this)

• 3. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
              N.Scott.Pearson

Intel exited the desktop motherboard business three years ago (about the time that the warranty on your board expired). All desktop boards have long since been end-of-lifed. All resources that worked on them were long ago transitioned to other projects or product groups within Intel. There simply is no one to work on issues with a 6-7-year old board or its BIOS. Secondly, there nothing here that says that the fault lies in the board or its BIOS. Some of the newest video cards make demands that boards this old simply cannot meet:

• Some of the new video cards require support for PCIe 3.0. Your board does not have PCIe 3.0 support (this technology did not even exist when it was produced). If this requirement is absolute, the card (and system, with this card installed) is simply not going to work.

• Some of the new video cards require support for UEFI. If this requirement is absolute (i.e. they do not provide legacy video BIOS in the OpROM), this card isn't going to work. Question: did you try testing with UEFI enabled? If not, you should do so. Note two things, however, (1), you will have to put your old video card back into the system in order to get into BIOS setup where you can enable UEFI and (2) if you installed Windows with UEFI disabled, you are likely going to have to reinstall Windows with UEFI (now) enabled (the old non-UEFI image likely will not boot).

This is happening more and more often and the issue is not isolated to Intel's Desktop Board products; other board vendors are having the same kinds of issues...

...S

• 4. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
                Etech

Thanks for the reply

I understand its really old and not supported anymore, but technically it should still work. PCI E 2.0 slots should be able to run anything PCI E 3.0 but in 2.0 mode (wich in this case would not change performances for more than around 2%) If its not compatible just because of this, this would be a proof that Intel didnt build these boards properly.

As for the UEFI yes i tried with it Enabled, but i didnt try with a fresh Win 7 installation. I already spent hours on this i have no more motivation

I might try it later if there is no other option...

• 5. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
                  N.Scott.Pearson

No, I am referring to video cards that will *only* operate with PCIe 3.0 (i.e. do not support PCIe 2.0 compatibility mode)...

• 6. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Here is something to try. Some folks have been successful booting Windows and using these new video cards, even though the BIOS will not support it. So,

1. Using old video card, go into BIOS setup and enable UEFI and Boot USB First.
                    2. Power off and disconnect all HDDs/SSDs.
                    3. Plug in new card and power on with USB-based Windows installation media plugged into USB port.

If the Windows installer comes up via the video card, you are going to be able to proceed...

...S

• 7. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Etech,

I regret the inconvenience; however, your motherboard and processor are very old now and they do not meet your graphics card requirements.

MSI R9-380 requires a board compatible with PCIe 3.0 technology additionally a power supply of at least 500W plus external 6-pin X2 power connectors. The card is not backwards compatible with the board. More details in the link below:
                      https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/R9-380-GAMING-4G.html#hero-specification

Regards,
                      Mike C

• 8. Re: DP55WG with MSI R9 380 4gb getting "EB" error
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Etech,

I regret the inconvenience; however, your motherboard and processor are very old now and they do not meet your graphics card requirements.

I am following your case. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
                        Mike C