1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 1:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.

Dion

I have a NUC Kit D54250WYKH with Win 7 SP1. After trying to install a bluetooth keyboard (Kaiser Baas) in my USB 2.0 port, I started to have issues with the ports. In the Control Panel I uninstalled the erroneous keyboard driver only to have my USB 2.0 ports (both) cease working. I did a System Restore, but this didn't fix the issue unfortunately. I downloaded the USB 3.0 drivers (Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver version 3.0.5.69) from the Intel site (couldn't find a USB2.0). Straight away I received the repetitive message, "Power surge on port hub: A device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limitations of the port," or something similar.

I decided that I would reinstall Windows 7 to correct the issue and did so. While setting up the 7 SP1 from US3.0 I reinstalled each driver, rebooting after each one. Again I got the USB 3.0 error so I found the driver in Device Manger and ...uninstalled it since the ports worked fine before the install. Now the neither the USB3.0 or USB 2.0 ports will function - no usb, corded mouse etc.

Is their a fix or did I kill the NUC? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Dion,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Have you made any software or hardware changes to your computer prior to this issue?

If you cannot use USB keyboard and mouse try the Bluetooth keyboard to follow these steps:
          Access the BIOS by pressing F2 when the system starts, once you are in the BIOS press F9 on your keyboard to set your system to defaults and then press F10 to save all changes.

Re-install the USB Controllers but don’t have anything connected to the USB.

Click Start and type devmgmt.msc, and then press Enter.

1. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.
          2. Uninstall each of the devices under the USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking Uninstall.
          3. Close the Device Manager and restart your computer.
          4. Reinstall the chipset driver
           Windows will automatically re-install the USB controllers in your computer, without you having to do anything further. Your computer should now run USB devices properly.

The error also means that there isn't enough power in the USB port where the device is plugged-in. I would suggest connecting the device to another USB port or use a USB hub that supplies its own power if it is possible.

I hope this can help.

Best wishes,

Ivan
          • 2. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
            Dion

Thanks for your response Ivan.

I hadn't made any hardware changes at all. Windows had updated a few days prior with no issues at all. I had installed some programs to thin the system in preparation for an upgrade to Windows 10.

I cannot use the Bluetooth keyboard at all. I can however, use a corded mouse and keyboard to access and navigate the BIOS. As you recommended I selected and saved the default settings.

I cannot reinstall the USB drivers because I cannot use the keyboard or mouse to operate the virtual keyboard at Windows login. At this point the wired keyboard and mouse switch off.

I know there is power there, I just don't know how to reinstall the drivers.

Curiously the USB port will read the bootable USB drive I created with Windows 10 and the mouse will operate. Would completing an upgrade correct the USB port errors?

Dion

• 3. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Try a BIOS recovery; you can download the latest BIOS version for your unit here:
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25352/BIOS-Update-WYLPT10H-86A-?product=76977

Please see Intel® NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions

I know the USB ports are not responding but try to see if you can perform a BIOS recovery.

Best wishes,

Ivan

• 4. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                Dion

Hi Ivan,

I successfully updated the bios using your recommended method. I can still navigate the bios using the corded mouse and keyboard, but once the computer boots into Windows that access is lost and there is no way to login in to Windows.

Is there a way to create a bootable disk and reinstall the chipset and drivers?

Thanks again for your help.

Dion

• 5. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                  jasonNUC

Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but have you tried safe mode?

• 6. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                    Dion

Hi Jason,

I can access safe mode and I am able to use the corded mouse and keyboard to login to Windows!

What's next? Should I reinstall the chipset driver as suggested by Ivan.

Thanks for your assistance mate.

• 7. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                      jasonNUC

Following Ivan's suggestions would be the best way to start.  The fact that you're ok in safe mode pretty well confirms this is a driver issue.

• 8. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                        Dion

So I did the following as per Ivan's advice:

Click Start and type devmgmt.msc, and then press Enter.

1. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.

I have the following sub-heading under USB controllers

-Generic usb hub

-Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller

-Intel usb 3.0 root hub

-Standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller

-usb comnmposite device

-usb hub

-usb root hub

When I right clicked uninstalled the Intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller, I lost all mouse and keyboard access and had to safe boot and revert to last know working settings (I still cannot use USB 2.0 at all). I'm concerned that I my uninstall one of the drivers and lost access to the keyboard and mouse forever - no ability to lose use the keyboard in safe mode.

I haven't got up to this part yet.

1. Uninstall each of the devices under the USB Controller section by right-clicking on each one, and then clicking Uninstall.
                        2. Close the Device Manager and restart your computer.
                        3. Reinstall the chipset driver

Dion

• 9. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                          jasonNUC

Dion,

It's kind of a catch22, isn't it?  You could try installing the updated chipset driver first to see if that gets you into Windows. Do you have a bluetooth keyboard available?  If not I would say start with updating the chipset driver, then if that doesn't work, boot into safe mode again and follow Ivan's directions, but not removing the USB 3 as that's keeping the mouse and keyboard available.

• 10. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                            Dion

I uninstalled the USB 3.0 drivers which left no keyboard/mouse access at all. This is because USB 2 is not powering at all.

I booted into safe and reverted to last known settings, then booted into safe mode and removed all of the USB controllers except the USB 3.0. After rebooting I have normal access to the USB 3, but not the USB 2 which is an issue. I need to reactivate the USB 2.

Also, I'm now receiving the "Power surge on hub port" error message again. Previously I had never, ever received this message until I installed the USB 3 extensible host controller driver. Since I have no USB 2 right now, I can't plug the keyboard/mouse into the usb 2 and until/reinstall the USB 3 drivers.

I will try to fix the USB 3 issue as the message is driving me nuts.

Would a clean windows 7 install fix this issue? I have a bootable usb with Win 7 ready to go if necessary.

Would a Windows repair correct the issue?

Dion

• 11. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                              Dion

Reinstalled the USB drivers (not from usb) and the error ceased. As soon as I rebooted it started again.

• 12. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                                jasonNUC

Does anything show up in event viewer about the error?

Do you get the error if you move your keyboard mouse to a different port?

Have you tried connecting the keyboard/mouse to a USB extension cable or a powered USB hub?

• 13. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                                  Dion

I reinstalled Win 7 all drivers. The USB 3.0 drivers again prompted the "power surge" message. It is noted on the Intel DL page to revert back to last known working settings after installing this driver. It seems below standard as there are many instances of error from this driver with a simple google. Reinstalled Win 7 again and all drivers except USB 3.0. Went into Device Manager and updated some devices.

The rear USB 2.0 ports aren't working no matter what I try. In Devices and Printers, I pressed Troubleshoot and get the following:

*"USB Serial Bus (USB) Controller doesn't have a driver." ID: PCI\VEN followed by a string of numbers. The error code is 28. Windows won't automatically update the driver online.

*"Problem with PNP devices"

*The install error from Device Manager is E0000203

Dion

• 14. Re: Cannot access USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports at all after removing drivers with errors.
                                    jasonNUC

Ok, I did some research into error code 28. The resolutions ranged from installing updated drivers (which seems to be impossible in this case) to installing the latest Windows service pack, to replacing the hardware. Most of the "fixes" I read ended with a final step of "if none of this works, your hardware is bad." I did read a bit about malware being the culprit in some cases, but in your case with a clean install that's out.  I'm going to suggest you contact Intel support directly to get this resolved. Whether it's actually a driver issue or something bad on the NUC board, they should be able to get you sorted.

Let us know how it goes!

1 2 Previous Next