3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2016 3:27 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

DG33BU Case Fan Speed Control

GlobalRuler

Hey,

I have an Intel DG33BU desktop board in my workstation, specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHZ

3GB DDR2 RAM

Nvidia Quadro 2000

I want to know how I can control the speed of fans installed in the casing, connected with the motherboard. I tried to search for it, but didnt came up with something helpful. Currently, I have two high speed case fans (dont know exact RPM) which are running at considerably low speed, I can barely feel any air blowing from the back. It gets really hot in this country and I dont want to invest in a new cooler just yet. The CPU and GPU sometimes reach very high temps, (65C-70C) So is there any way to crank up these fans to full RPM without connecting them directly with the PSU? I dont care about noise.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: DG33BU Case Fan Speed Control
          N.Scott.Pearson

This board has a fan speed control capability build into its chipset. It will speed up the fans (both chassis and CPU) as necessary - but it's not necessary yet; 65-70°C temperatures are not "very high"; in fact, they're not even concerning (if the CPU goes above, say, 85°C, then you can become concerned). Still, it is possible for you to configure the fan speed control subsystem to utilize lower thresholds if you wish. Support is provided for changing these thresholds in BIOS Setup.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: DG33BU Case Fan Speed Control
            GlobalRuler

I launched up BIOS in maintenance mode, yet the only option related to fan control is QST. (Dont know how that works)

In the Advance settings, It displays the fan speed, but dosent let me to control it.
            By the way, I thought anything below 70°C was "safe" for this CPU?

• 3. Re: DG33BU Case Fan Speed Control
              N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, QST (Intel Quiet System Technology) is the fan speed control feature. QST uses a special set of algorithms to determine the necessary fan speed that optimize acoustics and psycho-acoustic effects while maintaining temperatures to appropriate levels. Scroll down to a particular temperature and press enter. This will take you into a scene that allows you to configure the algorithm parameters related to that temperature. Scroll down to a particular fan speed and press enter there. This will take you to a scene that allows you to configure the algorithm parameters related to that fan's controller.

Each desktop processor maintains three temperature thresholds. The highest threshold, Ttrip (thermal trip), is the temperature where the processor will power itself off to protect itself from damaging temperatures. The next threshold, Tjmax (maximum junction temperature) is the temperature where the processor will begin throttling its own performance to protect itself from potentially damaging temperatures. While it varies from one individual processor to another, this threshold is somewhere in the vicinity of 100°C. The lowest threshold, Tcontrol (control temperature), specifies the temperature that the processor wants maintained. It is published by the processor, via Model Specific Register (MSR) and, in later processors (later than yours, that is), is also published over the Platform Environmental Control Interface (PECI) bus -- the same one used by external fan speed control systems (including QST which is built into your board's chipset) to obtain processor temperature readings. In the absence of additional information, fan speed control systems, by specification, are to maintain the temperature of the processor at or below the Tcontrol temperature threshold. By definition, this means that the processor's fan - and all fans that assist it - should be running at 100% if the processor temperature is above the Tcontrol threshold. In most cases - but understand that it varies from one individual processor to another - the Tcontrol threshold is 15-20°C below Tjmax, which means roughly in the 80-85°C range. The BIOS will read the Tcontrol temperature from the processor and use it as the default control temperature for the QST algorithms.

Plain as mud?

...S