Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Laptop Built-in Graphics Scales (Zooms/Enlarges) Content on External Display

RFeue
Beginner

Here is the problem.

I have an Acer ES1-711 17" Laptop.

I connected a 1080P LED HDTV via HDMI.

In Windows 10 I set graphics to extend display, using HDTV on left to second display, and Laptop on right as primary. HOWEVER problem which I am about to explain, is also present when I ONLY project to external display, and close the Laptop screen.

Problem is that anything I put, grab with the mouse pad and slide over to second display (HDTV) is enlarged, making huge ugly pixels. Actually eye balling, it seems is exactly doubles the size of any graphics I put on that display making it look like a like 960 x 540, instead of what it is set to in the display settings of 1920 x 1080 at 60hz. When I use the HDTV remote control's "Info" button, the HDTV confirms that it is 1080P.

Odd thing though, if I instead of grabbing and sliding a maximized windows over, if I instead size any window, to anything less that Laptop's native display of 1600 x 900, and then slowly begin to slide (move) it over to the HDTV, second display on the left, at first everything looks exactly like it should be, graphics are crisp, pixels are small, size seems right, however when I reach about half way, meaning content of window I am dragging is approximately 50% on left side and 50% on right side, all of a sudden the image (half the window) on the left second display is zoomed, enlarged!?!

What is going on? This is unacceptable!

If it is a Windows 10 problem, I will downgrade. If it is an Intel(R) HD Graphics problem, I will have to replace my Laptop to something that does NOT use Intel!

Yes driver is up to date.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RFeue
Beginner

The above problem was on a Seiki display, which displayed 1080P (1920 x 1080) fine as a regular display on various desktop computers using ATI graphics cards, and 1080P signal fine too from a PS3.

Just for curiosity I just happened to have another 42" 1080P LED HDTV, and lo and behold this one did NOT have the same problem!

I just don't understand why the Windows signal on the Seiki would suddenly enlarge, as I double check the zoom setting in the menu and it was set to "Scan Rate".

Go figure?

Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, DKDiveDude:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

Have you checked "Maintain Display Scaling" in the graphics setting for the second screen? Making sure the selected display is the second screen.

You could also test the behavior of the system with different cables.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
RFeue
Beginner

Yes I see the checkmark, but as many other have noted (Google), that checkmark is an arrogant joke from Intel.

It CANNOT be cleared!

So why it is displayed as a checkmark, I do not understand.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, DKDiveDude:

Thank you for your answer.

The option regarding scaling was to be changed as a troubleshooting step, to be tested with the options available while using the mentioned display.

Another troubleshooting would be to access the display settings and change the text size scroll to reduce the size of the second screen.

Here some screenshots that could help:

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
RFeue
Beginner

I understand what you suggested, however the checkmark CANNOT be cleared (changed / turned off).

Perhaps it can that on a different computer with a different graphics adapter, but not my Laptop, and many others have complained about this, just search on Google.

I see your screenshot above, but if anything for the specific second display, I need it NOT to scale, or perhaps scale down as it scales up anything I put on the display. My scale setting for that display is set to 100%.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, DKDiveDude:

Thank you for the answer provided.

In this case I have some remaining steps you can perform for this scenario:

- Access the Graphics Control Panel.

- Select the second display or TV.

- Change the resolution to a lower than native (native would be the highest available to be selected).

- Select "Customize Aspect Ratio".

- You should be able to use the sliders to adjust the picture to the screen.

- This will have to be done with extended or single display with external monitor mode.

I look forward to hearing from your outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, DKDiveDude:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolve this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos