Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

HP G62 a80sv and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 blackscreen issue

ROfth
Beginner

Hello there !

HP g62 a80sv

Intel core i3 cpu @ 2.13

Intel (R) HD graphics

4gb RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (disabled)

I was given this laptop around 5-6 years ago, informed that the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics card was burnt. Trusting this info, i've been using the laptop ever since with the integrated HD graphics card and so far so good. When i formated my laptop and installed new OS, i accidentally installed the drivers for the ATI card, thus activating it, resulting in a black screen while the laptop still operating just fine. Using safe mode I disabled the ATI card and switched back to Intel HD graphics. So far so good.

I 've seen that quite a few people have had this blackscreen issue with their HP G62 laptops and searching online, i found many videos that suggest a "simple" repair procedure by an (expert, of course) application of heat on the card and so on. On the other hand, i found a bios update on the Intel page reading "Fixes an issue where installing a new ATI Driver over an existing driver or uninstalling an ATI Driver causes the display panel to go black. The only recovery is to restart (reboot) the notebook."

So my question here is : What's the deal with the ATI card ? Should i go to an expert and have it checked ? Is there some way to use the BIOS update to fix the blackscreen issue ? Is there any other kind of fix out there, unbeknownst to me ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Robinoftherings,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

What Windows version did you install?

I suggest trying uninstalling both drivers and install only the Intel driver if you are having problems with the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470.

At this point I recommend installing the Intel driver from your system manufacturer website and all the drivers available from their website. You might be able to get it here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-G62-Notebook-PC-series/4156509/model/4247123/drivers/ http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-G62-Notebook-PC-series/4156509/model/4247123/drivers/

About the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 we don't provide any support for it but you could try getting some help here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5470.23698.0.html http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5470.23698.0.html

Please bear in mind that if this is a 5-6 years old system most likely is getting to its end and if starts giving you problem is going to be hard to get it repair, I'm not trying to discourage you but this computer like any other will have an end and sometimes is better to look for a new PC than try to fix an old one.

Best wishes,

Ivan
0 Kudos
ROfth
Beginner
Hi Ivan

Thanks for the feedback mate.

I've already done the "unistall/re-install" routine, to no avail. I'm operating on windows 7 ultimate x64, currently on the HD graphics card with no particular problems, apart from the low performance while gaming. Yesterday I updated my BIOS to no notable result, except from a bluescreen replacing the blackscreen i got when i installed the ATI drivers. My understanding (with a LOT of online search) is that the ATI graphics card encountered some heat issues in the past resulting, in a hardware malfunction. So far the only solutions i've come across are reflowing and reballing the card, however quite a few people think this is just a temporary solution ("Temporary" as in 2-3 months for reflowing and 1 year for reballing).

What are your thoughts on that ?

Robinoftherings

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To be honest we don't support this type of cards and we are not familiar with the configuration in your system related with this card or something similar, at this point your best support will be your system manufacturer as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos