2 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2011 2:30 AM by

Raid 5: Initialize : what is it doing exactly?

cisko

Hi,

I just posted on an ther thread, but I thought I should start a new one to get an answer to the question:

What is Intel Matrix utility when it is initializing? Exactly?

I need to know that because I am in the process of trying to retrieve a partition I lost after two of my disks were marked as non-raid disks (after I did a bios flash).

What I did is I set up all of my disks to non-raid disks, and then recreated a new array, identical to my old one. When doing that, I'm able to see my old partition and files in a program such as testdisk.

But I have to run testdisk in Vista safe mode, because when I start normal Vista, the Intel Matrix storage tries to "initialize" my Raid. And I'm not sure what he's doing when he initializes.

Anyone minds helping?

To know more about my problem: there's also the other thread here:

http://communities.intel.com/message/80582#80582

• 1. Re: Raid 5: Initialize : what is it doing exactly?
          Elizabeth

for RAID 5, it's initializing parity for every strip on the RAID 5 volume

• 2. Re: Raid 5: Initialize : what is it doing exactly?

Hello,

I had exactly the same problem with a 3 disks Raid 5 (2 was as non raid after a bios reset)

The solution I choose (as testdisk crash on 7) is to put all the 3 disks to non raid and recreate exactly the same raid system.

When I boot again after that process. The disk go to initialize. 5 days long...

Now it's finish but I have to "initialize disk" (windows speaking : GPT or MBR) as I cannot see it. I really don't think it's good idea ?

How I can do to get back my files ? Can I set up GPT partition to read it ? How can I know that I don't already erase everything during initialize step ?

Please help...

Config :

msi P67A-GD65(MS-7685)
            Chipset P67
            Processeur Intel Core i7-2600K
            RAM DD32600G DD3-1333(667 Mhz)