Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HD Graphics 4000 disabled - won't recognize external monitor

MLubr
Beginner

I'm running a Lenovo Z580 laptop with integrated HD Graphics 4000 and Windows 10. This combination has been working fine for several months with my HP w1907 VGA external monitor. The other day I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking - shortly after, the external display went blank. Attempts to recognize from the control panel fail. In the Deivce Manager, it says that the Intell HD Graphics 4000 adapter has been disabled, with a code of 43.

So far I have:

• Uninstalled the Naturally Speaking software (this was likely coincidental, but I figured what the heck.
  • Did a system restore to a restore point a couple of weeks ago that was a known time that the display was working
  • Searched multiple forums for a solution
  • Uninstalled and deleted the HD Graphics 4000 driver, then restarted.
  • Manually downloaded the driver from Intell (version 10.18.10.4276) and reinstalled, several times
  • Disabled the Microsoft Basic display adapter and restarted
  • Ran the Lenovo system hardware check, with no failures noted

What is unusual is that when the computer turns on and runs through the booting sequence, as soon as the Lenovo splash screen disappears to a black screen wtih the pointer/cursor, I can freely move the cursor from one monitor to the other. As soon as the following blue screen with the animated loading icon appears, the external monitor blanks out. I interpret this to mean that somewhere in the loading sequence there is probably another corrupted driver loading - perhaps not even graphics related - that is screwing up the display adapter function. It really doesn't seem to be the driver itself, since I've installed the supposedly correct one several times.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rsonk
New Contributor I

This is what worked for me:

1. Right click "Start" and select "Control Panel" (Open classic Control Panel)
  2. In the right corner -> View by: "Small Icons"
  3. Display
  4. Change Display Settings

Now you will see the traditional display configuration screen.

1. Select ("black/gray") extended monitor
  2. Make sure "Multiple displays" is not set to "Disabled ..."
  3. Select apply once done for all http://goo.gl/HBR5JL displays.
  4. Forced use of the DGPU for your game through the Nvidia control panel
  5. Verified through use of the Optimus Test Viewer that the game is using the DGPU
  6. Connected a monitor to the DGPU's hardware output and run the game on that monitor
MLubr
Beginner

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately, I think the problem is deeper than that. Once in the control panel, I don't even have a setting for multiple displays, since the Intel driver isn't enabled: when I go to advanced settings, it shows that the computer is using the Microsoft Basic driver set for the display. I'm not sure what a DGPU is, and I'm not trying to run any games, either - just basic Office and Windows apps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you tried different cable from the laptop to the monitor?

I suggest try the recommendations at the following link:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(v=ws.10).aspx https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725873(v=ws.10).aspx

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please uninstall the graphics driver you have and download and install the driver from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25698/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-and-8-1-and-Windows-10-15-33-?product=81499 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25698/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-and-8-1-and-Windows-10-15-33-?product=81499

If this does not work I strongly recommend contacting Lenovo support as they are more familiar with your system and how all the components interact with each other.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Were you able to solve the issue with the information provided above or you did contact Lenovo to get a resolution?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
MLubr
Beginner

I was unable to correct the situation. The Intel driver has been uninstalled and installed repeatedly. The cable and monitor are both in good working condition.

The problem almost certainly lies in some driver incompatibility. During the startup POST with the Lenovo splash screen displayed with a black background, the Intel driver is apparently working, because I can move the cursor from one monitor to the other without difficulty. As soon as Windows starts to load with a blue background screen, the cursor snaps to my laptop monitor and cannot be moved. To me, this indicates that the Intel driver is working until some other driver or background application either corrupts it or causes it to crash.

I posted a message on the Lenovo boards but did not receive useful assistance. I have not yet called Technical Support because I don't have several hours to hang out on the phone with someone.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Is there a key combination you need to press to turn the optional output on? It is probably a key labeled "Fn" plus one with a symbol for the two monitor types on it to toggle between them.

Run Windows update and install all the updates available.

Try to see if the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?cid=cim:ggl Intel® Driver Update Utility detects any missing driver in your system.

Reinstalling Windows is the nuclear option. It will blow away your existing system software, replacing it with a fresh Windows system. If the issue continues after this, you likely have a hardware problem.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved with the information provided above.

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos