Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Intel Centrino Wireless N-1030 some times works and some times doesn't on Windows 10

KMitt1
Beginner

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 64 bit on my Asus U56E from Windows 7 HP. I have the same wifi as I did before - Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030. Now, most of the time it works (I read in some other post that it's not compatible with Windows 10, so I don't know how it's working for me!). Anyhow, now and then, it will stop working (like after the computer restarts or I log back in after it sleeps). When this happens I can neither turn the wifi on with the keyboard shortcut (F2+fn) nor through the settings section in the computer. Under Network Adapters in Device Manager, Intel Centrino Wireless N-1030 will be absent and if I click on Scan Hardware Changes, nothing happens. But if I connect to the internet with an ethernet cable and try the same thing, it works, Intel Centrino appears and I am then able to connect to the wifi. And I can remove the ethernet and continue with the wifi until the next time the same thing happens. What can I do to make it stop randomly not detecting the wifi connections like this??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello krittik,

As you mentioned, the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 is not supported with Windows® 10. This is noted in the document: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005602.html Intel® Wireless Products Supported Operating Systems for Wireless.

We cannot guarantee that the adapter will work normally or be detected by the OS, since it was not designed to work in this configuration.

0 Kudos
KMitt1
Beginner

But if it is not supported by Windows 10 it should not work at all, correct? So, how come it works about 75% of the time for me? Is it because it is not designed to be compatible it works unpredictably?

And in this case how can I fix it? Is there some other driver or program I can install to make it work better?

0 Kudos