Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

display driver stopped working

ABrow19
Beginner

I have an Intel core i5-6200U windows 10 home 64 bit op syst and i am constantly getting an error saying "Display driver Intel HD graphics driver for windows 8 stopped responding and has succesfully recovered" ive already tried updating my graphics driver which is intel hd graphics 520, am i needing to install a more recent driver? or is it something elsedis

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TElle
Beginner

Unfortunately, this is a reality of Intel's current integrate graphics offerings - their drivers constantly crash.

Post all of the relevant information for your system and hopefully they figure out what the problems are. The latest beta drivers don't have much of an impact on this issue either, so wishful thinking or returning your machine are the only options to fix it at this point in time.

0 Kudos
rsonk
New Contributor I

Method 1:

To diagnose the problem whether any third party program or application is causing the conflict, I would suggest you to try "clean boot" and check if it helps.

Placing your system in "Clean Boot" state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If the issue does not occur in "Clean Boot", then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for "Windows 8.1 and Windows 8" given in the section "How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot" from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot thttp://goo.gl/hwzlvP roubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Run inbuilt Hardware & Device troubleshooter

Let's try running inbuilt Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

1. Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.

2. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting.

3. Now click on view all option.

4. Click on Hardware and Device and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

Step 1: Update the Display driver. Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

1. Click Start and go to Run.

2. In the Run prompt, type devmgmt.msc and then click OK.

3. Device Manager will open.

4. In Device Manager expand Display adapters.

5. Right-click the display driver and click Update Driver Software.

6. Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

1. At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

2. Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

3. When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on "Check for Updates" on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Expand Display adapters.

3. Right-click the display card driver and click Uninstall.

4. Windows will prompt you to confirm the device's removal. Click OK to remove the driver.

5. After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.

Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer's website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

You may also refer to the following website below to download the drivers for the Graphics card.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

If the issue persists, follow method 4

Method 4:

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmberLane:

Thank you all for the information provided on this.

This type of errors could be caused by different things in your system.

The troubleshooting advised by richardsonkane75 is pretty complete for sure.

Some information required:

-Is there an specific application, software or activity that triggers the issue?

-Please provide me with the report exported here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

I look forward to your outcome with those steps provided.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
ABrow19
Beginner

I have tried all of these things and nothing is working, why does the error say "the display driver for windows 8" if I am using windows 10? do I need to download the correct driver for windows 10 and if so, how?

0 Kudos
rsonk
New Contributor I

You download for this shttp://goo.gl/4hZelu oftware

\https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25188/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-33- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.33]

more details read : - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293 How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, AmberLane:

I am sorry to hear this is not working so well for you.

I would like to gather some information from your system in order to further assist you on this.

First, please download and run the utility in the following link and attach the report in your answer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

I would like to know, what is the game that this is happening with?

Additionally, it would be great to have the information requested here:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos