Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

HD Graphics continuously fails

RSelb
Beginner

Hi, whenever I play a video game, it inevitably crashed and I get an "Intel HD Graphics failed" notification. This has begun happening, regardless of the particular game, around 30-50 minutes into playing any video game. Apologies for how vague this is, but the only consistent cause of this issue is that I play a video game for a moderate-to-extended amount of time. Attached is my DXDiag giving detailed system information.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, artistdesigner:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to gather some information about this:

-For how long have you experienced this issue so far?

-Have you performed any update in the system hardware or software?

-Have you changed components in your device?

-Have you tested the behavior of the system with the latest driver from your computer's OEM?

-What is the behavior of your system while using the generic drivers from Intel?

Any other change that you remember performing in your system would be good to know as well.

OEM drivers: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/Lenovo-Edge-Series-Laptops/Edge-15-Laptop-Lenovo/80H1?linkTrack=Homepage:Body_Search%20Products&beta=false Laptops :: Lenovo Edge Series Laptops :: Edge 15 Laptop (Lenovo) :: 80H1 - Lenovo Support (US)

Intel Generic drivers: 64-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25860/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81497 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

32-bit: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25541/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=81497 Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8.1/10 [15.40]

I look forward to your outcome on this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

I'd say I experienced this issue for approximately a month or two.

I haven't recently updated my system hardware/software/Windows version.

Never changed any components for my laptop since I bought it.

It's been a few weeks since I tried updating my graphics drivers. I remember there was an issue with the update/installation, but it was too long ago for me to remember the details.

Should I install the latest drivers again, and if do so, should I try the OEM or the Intel generic 64 bit ones first?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, artistdesigner:

Thank you for the information provided.

The first option to go would be the OEM drivers.

While using OEM systems like yours, the recommendation is to download and install the drivers from your computer's manufacturer website.

This is to avoid losing any special features or settings while using the generic drivers from Intel.

If they don't work properly, report the issue to your OEM and in the meanwhile you can use the generic from Intel.

I look forward to your results with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

Apologies for the delay in posting a reply, I had a rather busy weekend. The Lenovo website shows the most recent driver version for my processor (i5-4210U) as version 10.18.10.3383, while I'm presently running version 10.18.15.4279. As the Lenovo driver appears to have been made before I purchased this computer (release date 30 Sept 2014), would it make more sense to instead install the generic Intel Graphics drivers (version 15.40.18.4380, released 8 March 2016)?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, artistdesigner:

I understand, no problem, you can test both drivers to see the behavior of each and the one that works better for you would be the one to use.

If both continue to have issues, please check this thread, fill the form and add it in your answer:

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

I tried to install the generic driver and I received the following error (screenshot included), which linked me to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html this page.

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

I was unable to install the Lenovo driver as well. It gave me the following error. I shall try and proceed with uninstalling my current driver and installing the generic Intel driver.

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

Uninstalled my graphics driver and installed the generic Intel driver. The following error message occurred.

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

Restarted my computer. Installing the generic graphics driver seemed to work fine but about 1.5 - 2 hours into the installation process, a popup saying that the installation failed appeared. Restarted the computer and as of now, am running with version 10.18.10.4252

Will not make any more changes to the drivers until I receive further input.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, artistdesigner:

Thank you for your answer on this.

Let's test the behavior of your system by installing this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25150/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit?product=81497 Download Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Production Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit

With this procedure: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html How to Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows® 10 &...

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

I first tried to install the drivers in Windows, but the selection was immediately "greyed out" and I couldn't proceed.

I then restarted the computer in Safe Mode, and tried to install the driver using the procedure you linked me to. The installation seemed to be successful. However, while I have my driver installation/update recorded as events which occurred, I oddly have the same driver version number.

Not sure what this exactly means, but I will try to test and see if any functionality has improved.

0 Kudos
RSelb
Beginner

I looked at the pictures I sent, and I just realized that the driver versions are actually different. That was my error. The driver version in use still does not match the driver version in the download link, though (15.40.4.64.4256).

Anyways, this (unfortunately) doesn't seem to be the immediate end to my issues. Games which previously worked months ago still CTD with the same notifications that the Intel HD Graphics failed. I wonder if this may be because it does not appear that I fully updated the graphics driver. Should I try installing from the driver's Setup.exe file?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, artistdesigner:

I am sorry to hear this driver is not working properly for you.

I would like to gather some information from your system to further assist you on this.

You can simply access the link below, add all the information requested there and add it in your answer.

Information to be provided: Default level information for reporting Graphics issues" href="" modifiedtitle="true" title="Default level information for reporting Graphics issues">

Having the games/software you are encountering issues with would be great as well.

Intel is currently developing a driver to be release for the latest Intel® HD Graphics, there is no ETA yet, and the information requested will help us with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos