1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 8:23 AM by ivanu_intel

NUC5i5RYH - current graphic driver 15.40.14.4352 on windows 10 causing blackscreen on startup (before login)

Andres.W

Hi all (hoppefully someone from intel will read this!),

After a frustrated try with a Gigabyte Brix Pro (too hot in idle) I have now a NUC5i5RYH since a week. Installed 16gb (2x 8gb) of RAM (HyperX) and 250gb ssd samsung m2 + 2tb hdd sata. Also installed the last BIOS update, 355.

I have a Windows 10 Pro install USB and installed windows with it. After the install and the first update of the system it came a blackscreen. After a reboot the blackscreen remains (no cursor on blackscreen). My current windows version is 1511 (OS Build 10586.164).

After several tries to understand the issue (and several boots on safe mode trying to see if the problem is the fast boot, etc), I came to the following result: it is the graphics driver (on safe mode I removed it and with the generic driver from Windows - "MS basic display adapter" [dated 2006!] - is working). Everytime Windows updates it pushes the graphics driver "update" and the problem begins again, so I was forced to put a gpedit entry to restrict the update for this specific hardware id.

Questions:

1) I have the latest windows, and the latest NUC graphic driver 15.40.14.4352 is not compatible / giving blackscreens with it. Is this known by you, eg are you working on a patch ? (is there a patch already I'm not aware of?)

2) If not, do you need any info from my side as to understand the issue better ?

I don't want to keep using the generic "microsoft basic display adapter" for obvious speed / performance reasons, so would appreciate a prompt reply.

I use Windows on a dual boot install and the other OS is working flawlessly.

PS: there is another driver I tried: 15.40.18.4380, this driver cannot be installed - although it is for the same chipset hd6000, I suppose because is not a driver for NUC.

PS2: I'm using the display output via Displayport, but in parallel I also check the hdmi output (so I can eliminate the chance of the reported phantom display on some threads I read on the internet).

Thanks,

Andres

1 2 Previous Next