7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 10:55 AM by Intel Corporation

Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists

CoreyW

I installed the WW25.5 Yocto image on my Edison (Arduino version) using the unzip, copy to drive, boot> run do_ota method and it worked.

When I login into the Edison over the serial port it reports Yocto version 1.7.3. I'm trying to upgrade to Yocto 3.0 using the Image package: iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315.zip

I can't use the unzip/copy/run do_ota method because the uncompressed image is too big to copy to the Edison drive.  I have read that I need to use the Intel Phone flash tool. I'm running Windows 7 and I have been able to get the image flash to go all the way to completion using the Phone tool tool, as well as, the flashall.bat method from the command the line.

Both tools appear to go through all the steps of upgrading the firmware and say "successful" at the end.  

Unfortunately, when I login into my Edison, the old image is still present.  So although both method say the flash was updated, the old version of the OS is still present, along with all the configuration settings like wifi.

Does anyone know what is going wrong for me when attempting to upgrade to the latest Yocto image?

Thanks.

Corey

• 1. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi CoreyW,

Could you run the following command and provide the outcome of it: cat /etc/version? That command will let us know what the current image in your Edison is.

Regards,
          Diego

• 2. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
            CoreyW

Hi Diego.

At the login, I see this:

Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7.2 edison ttyMFD2

root@edison:~# cat /etc/version

weekly-159.devkit-2.0

root@edison:~#

Corey

• 3. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
              Intel Corporation

Hi CoreyW,

In your first post you mentioned that you got "Yocto 1.7.3" when accessing the Edison's console, and now you mention that you get "Yocto 1.7.2", this means that you have flashed the Edison successfully with a different image version. Let's try to use the flashall method to flash the Edison with the latest Yocto image. The image can be downloaded from the following link: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25871/eng/iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315.zip

The flashall method is described in the following site: https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154. Take a screenshot of the process status so I can check the process messages. After the process is done, run the previous command one more time to check what image version your Edison has: cat /etc/version

Regards,
              Diego

• 4. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
                CoreyW

Hi Diego.

The version definitely changed, but 'configure_edison --version' is still reporting an unknown version. 

C:\Users\Amy\Desktop\iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315>flashall.bat

Using U-boot target: edison-blankrndis

Now waiting for dfu device 8087:0a99

Please plug and reboot the board

Dfu device found

Flashing IFWI

Download        [=========================] 100%      4194304 bytes

Download done.

Download        [=========================] 100%      4194304 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot

Download        [=========================] 100%       237568 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot Environment

Download        [=========================] 100%        65536 bytes

Download done.

Flashing U-Boot Environment Backup

Download        [=========================] 100%        65536 bytes

Download done.

Rebooting to apply partiton changes

Dfu device found

Flashing boot partition (kernel)

Download        [=========================] 100%      6127616 bytes

Download done.

Flashing rootfs, (it can take up to 5 minutes... Please be patient)

Download        [=========================] 100%   1302792192 bytes

Download done.

Rebooting

U-boot & Kernel System Flash Success...

Your board needs to reboot to complete the flashing procedure, please do not unplug it for 2 minutes.

C:\Users\Amy\Desktop\iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160315>

Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7.3 edison ttyMFD2

edison login: root

root@edison:~# cat /etc/version

root@edison:~# configure_edison --version

Could not determine firmware version information. Quitting.

none

Corey

• 5. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
                  Intel Corporation

Hi CoreyW,

Your Edison is indeed flashed with the latest image, and everything seems to be fine. Regarding the configure_edison --version command, it doesn't retrieve the version on this Yocto image, that’s why I asked you to run the command cat /etc/version instead, because the configure_edison --version doesn't provide any useful information on this image. 

Regards,
                  Diego

• 6. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
                    CoreyW

Why doesn't this line didn't change?

Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7.3 edison ttyMFD2

What is the source of that information?

• 7. Re: Edison Flash Successful, but old image persists
                      Intel Corporation

Hi CoreyW,

Actually, that message changed. Remember that you posted before that you got the following message: Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7.2 edison ttyMFD2. Now, the message you see is the following: Poky (Yocto Project Reference Distro) 1.7.3 edison ttyMFD2. Notice that the version is different. Anyhow, that number only indicates the Yocto Reference Distro version which could be the same for different images. The output from the command cat /etc/version is more helpful because it let us know what the image version is.

Regards,
                      Diego