1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 11:53 AM by Intel Corporation

Keep getting compile error/no file or folder

rlbradley

Have been trying to get my Galileo gen 2 board to run the blink program, to no avail. Followed getting started instructions. Followed suggestions from forums. Keep getting compile error/ file or folder does not exist. Does anyone know of a video (which shows step by step) or phone number to contact someone for help? I am not sure I am doing everything in the proper sequence. Also when I  run arduino for the first time to attempt to run the blink led sketch, arduino opens a blank sketch window. When I choose the blink example, another arduino window opens with the sketch in it. Is this normal? Any help is appreciated. For something that is suppose to be fairly easy, this is very frustrating.  Using Intel I5 Windows 7 64 bit with arduino IDE.Thx.

• 1. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

I’m really sorry to hear that you have had these problems while trying to use the board. 
          When you select the example it is normal that the IDE opens a new window.
          Are you following this guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/iot/library/galileo-getting-started ?
          Which Arduino IDE version are you using?
          Did you have problems while installing the boards with the Boards Manager on the IDE?
          Could you attach the full log of the error you are getting on the Arduino IDE?

Regards,
          Charlie

• 2. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
            FGT

Hi rlbradley,

Where you able to install the drivers and update firmware?

I suggest you follow the step-by-step guide starting at IoT - Intel® Galileo Board Get Started Guide | Intel® Developer Zone and tell us the first failing step. I've installed and used the Galileo following that guide.

About

Also when I  run arduino for the first time to attempt to run the blink led sketch, arduino opens a blank sketch window. When I choose the blink example, another arduino window opens with the sketch in it. Is this normal?

Yes, the Arduino IDE always opens a new window each time you select to open a sketch, being from examples or a saved one.

Edit: About

Does anyone know of a video  ...?

I don't know of any video and since I have already installed drivers in my computer the video I would make would show different steps...

HTH,

Fernando.

• 3. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
              rlbradley

Hello all responders and thank you for responding.

I have used the Getting started guide 2 times. Each time the gen 2 was setup on com3. I had no errors, until I went to load the blink sketch, which gives me the compile/ no file no directory error. I then used advice from the forum about loading drivers manually etc. On this instance the board was then setup on com4. I though aha! maybe it was trying to use the wrong com port. Everything loaded without error until again trying to upload the example blink sketch. I have never had any errors until trying to upload the sample sketch. The arduino IDE version is reporting as 1.6.4. The error is

(i586-poky-linux-uclibc-g++: error: CreateProcess: No such file or directory.

Error compiling.)

Thanks again, and eagerly awaiting more replies.

• 4. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                FGT

rlbradley wrote:

Hello all responders and thank you for responding.

I have used the Getting started guide 2 times. Each time the gen 2 was setup on com3.

From this I assume you installed the Galileo drivers successfully. Just in case, please show the screen of the device manager before and after you plug the Galileo to the USB (both screens, please)

Each time the gen 2 was setup on com3. I had no errors, until I went to load the blink sketch, which gives me the compile/ no file no directory error.

Just in case: did you upgrade the firmware card successfully?

HTH,

Fernando.

• 5. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                  rlbradley

You know I have been working on this so many times today, I don't remember if I updated the firmware the last time. Do I need to uninstall everything in order to upgrade the firmware? Or can I do it as is? How can I tell which firmware is running now?

• 6. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                    rlbradley

There are no ports before plugged in. When plugged in galileo gen 2 shows up on com4.

• 7. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                      FGT

rlbradley wrote:

You know I have been working on this so many times today, I don't remember if I updated the firmware the last time. Do I need to uninstall everything in order to upgrade the firmware? Or can I do it as is? How can I tell which firmware is running now?

No need to uninstall to upgrade the firmware.

Please run the Firmware Updater tool (IntelGalileoFirmwareUpdater-1.0.4-Windows) set the proper COM port (COM4 in your screen, but check each time you plug in the Galileo) and it should show 1.0.4 in the "Current Board Formware" field. If not, then set 1.0.4 in the "Update firmware version" field.

Fernando

• 8. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                        Intel Corporation

Hi rlbradley,

Did you update the firmware of your board as Fernando suggested?
                        I saw you are using the 1.6.4 Arduino IDE version, I suggest you to use a newer version from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software 
                        You can also try by changing the COM port number of the PC, it may be restricted so you could have problems, try the following:
                        Go to the Device Manager > Ports and right click on Galileo(COM4) and select Properties > Port Settings > Advanced… and change the COM port number. Then click OK and OK.
                        I also suggest you to use different USB cables and ports. Are you using a 2.0 or 3.0 USB ports? There are some problems that have been reported while using 3.0 USB ports with the Galileo.

Regards,
                        Charlie

• 9. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                          jinzai

Yes, it is normal behavior. The Arduino IDE opens up with a new sketch using the date and a lower case letter.

when you open another one, even an example sketch -- it opens in a new window. You can close the first one if you want, or work in multiple windows, but -- when you compile and upload -- it will use whatever sketch is loaded in that window.

I do not think you have a problem with the communications or the device -- it is with the Arduino IDE -- it cannot find the sketch source, or one of its dependencies. Perhaps your installation is not proper. A screen shot of the error would be super in helping you further, but -- as you can see -- the Arduino IDE will happily compile a sketch, even if there is no board on the COM port. You said it isn't compiling, right? If it is Blink, that is particularly strange, because the file is open and it has no external dependencies. In looking at the process in the terminal window -- the process relies on additional folders, like your temp folder, and if the IDE version is 1.0.6 like the first few images -- there is another folder that must exist where that IDE was installed.

So, it will fail on upload if the COM port is wrong. Also, the board firmware is likewise not in question, here.

I would be checking that the examples and libraries were installed correctly -- that is another common misfire in this type of development system.

I just downloaded the latest Arduino IDE for Galileo and installed it -- you must install the Galileo specific board manually using the Boards Manager. In the below images I have already installed it.

Here is where that installs to --

And here is what that terminal window looks like compiling Blink with no Galileo 2 connected. --

You should see a COM Port like this in the new IDE...

And success looks like this...

• 10. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                            Intel Corporation

Hi rlbradley,

Do you have updates on this?
                            I would like to know if you have tried some of the latest suggestion we have posted.

Regards,
                            Charlie

• 11. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                              rlbradley

Hi Charlie and all responders,

My apologies for not responding sooner. I was gone for a week due to my job. I will be trying these suggestions today and I will post my results.

Thank you,

Rennie.

• 12. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                                rlbradley

Ok. So I updated the firmware to 1.6.8. Changed the com port to 14 on one blink try. Changed the com port to 6 on the second try. I checked the serial monitor and this is the message I am getting on both ports. (Port not found). I then tried compiling the blink program with no board connected and got this message.

So I am assuming that there was something missed during installation since it cant find a folder or directory??

• 13. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                                  rlbradley

Here is my file folder for arduino. Looks the same as your second screen shot.

• 14. Re: Keep getting compile error/no file or folder
                                    FGT

Hi,

It seems to be that your Arduino installation is not working, since you cannot compile.

Uninstall every Arduino installation and delete every Arduino-related software, so you start from scratch.

Please follow the step-by-step guide at the Intel site, document every step you make and send the result/s so we can figure out what happens.

HTH,

Fernando.

1 2 Previous Next