5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 5:54 PM by tlandim

Webcam is interrupting wifi connection

tlandim

Hi everyone,

So I was following a tutorial to hook up my webcam on my Edison however when I tried to capture a frame with the webcam it stopped working and got an error that there was no internet connection. I don't know what happens but every time I switch the microswitch  towards the USB port (I have the Arduino Expansion Board) I lose wifi connection.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

this is the tutorial I was following:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/do-it-yourself/garage-content/garage-webcam-hook-up-video.html

• 1. Re: Webcam is interrupting wifi connection
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

Are you powering the board through the power supply and attaching the webcam to the OTG USB port?
          If the switch is not closer to the OTG the board will not recognize the device on this port. Remember that the board recognizes the device on the USB port that it is pointed by the microswitch.
          Which image are you using on your board? You can run uname –a for this.
          Which webcam are you using?
          Could you post the error you are getting?

Let me know about the image you are using so I could try the same example.

Regards,
          Charlie

• 2. Re: Webcam is interrupting wifi connection
            tlandim

Hi Charlie,

Yes I am powering the board through the power supply and the webcam is attached to the OTG USB port, also the switch is close to the OTG.

I am using the latest image available at Intel website, Yocto 3.0, when I ran uname -a appeared Linux artia 3.10.17-poky-edison+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 14 15:26:16 PDT 2016 i686 GNU/Linux

I tried with two different logitech webcams. A window pop up and shown the error "Network error: connection timed out."

In the first attempt to connect the webcam I was able to detect it properly and check the UVC driver was loaded with lsmod | grep uvc, also I verified the device node was created  by typing ls -l /dev/video0. However after I tried to get a frame with the webcam I got that error and putty stopped working. After that every time the switch is closer to the OTG I get this error.

Thanks,

Tiago.

• 3. Re: Webcam is interrupting wifi connection
              Intel Corporation

Hi Tiago,

Please post a screenshot of the error you are getting.
              Is the problem only when you change the position of the microswitch? Are you able to use putty without problems?
              I ran the example you are using while using the same image you have and I’m not receiving the same outcome.

Have you tried to start again from scratch? If you haven’t, I suggest re-flashing your board again and trying it one more time maybe there is something that went wrong while following the tutorial.

Regards,
              Charlie

• 4. Re: Webcam is interrupting wifi connection
                Intel Corporation

Hi,

Do you still have problems with this? If you do, please let us know about the questions above.

Regards,
                Charlie

• 5. Re: Webcam is interrupting wifi connection
                  tlandim

Hi Charlie,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I figured it out, the problem was my power supply, it wasn't supplying enough power to the board and the webcam. Now it's working.

Thank you for your time!

Regards,

Tiago.