Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20501 Discussions

Graphics Driver crash while playing Civilization Beyond Earth

LWhit4
Novice

The subject line tells the story in a nutshell. I was playing CIV BE and nearing the end of a long long campaign, and the graphics driver crashed. It reported an unhandled exception and, unfortunately, it crashed in such a way that the screen was black. While I could use the task bar to get a peek at the reported error, when I tried to click on it the window reporting the arrow would appear only briefly before it disappeared behind a black screen. CIV BE was running full screen, and I suspect that has something to do with this behavior. I was unable to get any program running and had to reboot the system to get it in a working state again.

My system is running windows 10 and has an i7-4700MQ processor with 16 gigabytes of memory. So that's HD 4600 graphics. The driver is dated 2/2/16 and the version is 20.19.15.4380.

My plan is to restart the program and take another crack at it. I think I've figured out how to beat the game and don't want to give up.

ldw

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Idw,

To get more information, please try the Intel® System Support Utility, in the following link you can download it and attach the result in a comment.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Regards,

Hellen.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Idw:

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if there is any update regarding the information requested previously.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
LWhit4
Novice

Hi Esteban,

I haven't had a problem since I modified the settings on the game and the 3d portion of the intel graphics driver. I also had an email from someone in Intel suggesting or affirming the change I had made. What I did is to turn on anti-aliasing in the game (Civ BE Rising Tide) and turned on the 3d setting to override it with 'conservative morphological anti-aliasing'. So it you want to declare it 'fixed' i guess you can. Though it would be good to know the underlying problem was fixed too.

LDW

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Ldw I'm glad to know that the issue hasn't come up again, for further assistance do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Hellen.

0 Kudos