6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2016 11:02 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card

Maxim_Krylov

Hello everyone.

I have the next problem: I'm developing a Speech recognition program. Java is chosen language. I use free library sphinx4 for recognizing. This program works with microphone, but works uncorrectly (It works well on my laptop).

What I did:

1. I plugged in a sound card

2. Created settings file /etc/asound.conf

3. Added pcm.!default sysdefault:Device to the file (Device is name of my sound card)

4. Added       src/gz all-2 http://repo.opkg.net/edison/repo/all

src/gz edison http://repo.opkg.net/edison/repo/edison

src/gz core2-32 http://repo.opkg.net/edison/repo/core2-32

to /etc/opkg/base-feed.conf

5. Executed opkg update

6. Executed opkg install alsa-utils

7. Checked my microphone and speaker. It worked, but microphone on Edison had a less good quality than on my laptop (The same sound card was used)

I guess my program works uncorrectly because I don't have appropriate usb sound driver for my card. I found on a forum that I should do the next:

opkg install kmod-sound-core kmod-usb-audio madplay

But when I do this I get error. So I guess that error happens because I don't have appropriate repository for the drivers. I found the repository when the drivers are located. And do the next:

1. Opened file      /etc/opkg/base-feed.conf

2. Added        src/gz trunk-ar71xx http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/

3. Executed opkg update

So, I got an error. I didn't find other repositories.

My questions are: How can I install the drivers? or How can I solve the problem?

I'm sorry if I asked silly question. It's the second time when I wrote in a forum.

• 1. Re: Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Maxim,

Could you tell us which image you’re using? We would like to know if you’re using the latest release (3.0) or a previous one. Also, when you say that it works incorrectly, what’s the exact behavior of the program? What’s different between the program running on your PC and running on the Edison board?
          All your steps seem to be correct. Now, if you’re getting that error you could try to install the driver from source instead of installing it from the repository. Have you tried that before?
          Could you please provide the link to the thread where they applied opkg install kmod-sound-core kmod-usb-audio madplay?

Regards,
          Pablo

• 2. Re: Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card
            Maxim_Krylov

Could you tell us which image you’re using?

If I understood correctly:

Version.png

Some other screenshots:

Devices.png

vim.png

Also, when you say that it works incorrectly, what’s the exact behavior of the program? What’s different between the program running on your PC and running on the Edison board?

So, my program has the following code:

Code Sample.png

Nothing special, it gets data from a microphone, tries to recognize and prints recognized phrases.

How it should work:

Correct.png

How it works:

Incorrect work.png

To tell the truth I don't know what 9 3 7 7 5 3 0 mean. When a microphone hears some noise it tries to recognize this one (it's a correct variant), but it seems to hear noise always, even the microphone is plugged out (sound card is plugged in).

Now, if you’re getting that error you could try to install the driver from source instead of installing it from the repository. Have you tried that before?

If I understood correctly:

drivers.png

Could you please provide the link to the thread where they applied opkg install kmod-sound-core kmod-usb-audio madplay?

If I understood correctly (I had started this discussion before I found the repository): OpenWrt 21.09.2012

If you mean the forum where I found this "solution". I'm very sorry I couldn't find it again.

I wonder why a microphone has a less good quality.

By the way when I tried to use marytts (free java text-to-speech library) I got an internal exception or smth. like that. May be all problems are in installed java? But it's very strange.

And I think that "pactl set-default-sink ... / pactl set-default-source ..." don't work otherwise it doesn't need to create asound.conf and add the row I suppose.

• 3. Re: Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card
              Intel Corporation

Hi Maxim,

Thank you for providing the information. One possible reason could be the sampling of the Edison vs the sampling of your PC, the Edison might not be handling this task as good as your PC, it would be necessary to compare what enters in both systems and what the output is. Also, I would suggest you to check the processes of the Edison board while running your program, this way you can determine if all resources are being consumed or saturated, if this the case this might be the root of the issue.
              Regarding the code, try to test each section of the program individually to determine where the error is occurring and if something can be changed to improve the results.

Regards,
              Pablo

• 4. Re: Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card
                Intel Corporation

Hi Maxim,

Do you have updates on this case? Have you tried anything different?

Regards,
                Pablo

• 5. Re: Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card
                  Maxim_Krylov

To tell the truth we decided to solve all problems which are connected to Edison in May or June. We decided to change operation system. If it is possible we want to install Arch Linux. I believe that Edison is enough powerfull to work with a microphone and so on correctly. Excuse me for troubling and thank you for replying!

So I almost didn't have an experience in creating discussion, should I close this discussion?

• 6. Re: Intel Edison. Installing drivers on USB Sound Card
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Maxim,

You don’t need to worry, we will take care of closing the case. Please don’t hesitate to open a new thread once you start working with the Intel Edison again, we’ll be more than glad to help you :)

Regards,
                    Pablo