3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 1:04 PM by Intel Corporation

Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?, Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?

SamGooch

I spent about a week yesterday trying to install Win10 32 bit on a new computer with an I3-4170 processor.

I started with a retail version of win 10 purchased from Microsoft.

Is it possible this processor(or perhaps my motherboard) will not run 32 bit OS?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?, Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello SamGooch ,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

You can install Windows 10 32 or 64 bit with this processor with no problem, the processor is operating system independent.

What is the motherboard model you have? It depends on the motherboard model you can search through the manufacturer website to see what operating system it supports.

What is the message you get when you try to install the operating system or what exactly happens when you try to install it?

To be honest is a waste of performance using Windows 32 bit with this processor, you will take the best of this processor using Windows 64 bit, but is up to you and it depends what you need the system for.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ivan

• 2. Re: Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?, Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?
            SamGooch

Ivan, thanks for the reply.

I don't know any details about the motherboard but, based on your answer, I'm about to dig into that.

I need the 32 bit OS for a specific application that will not run on the current system.

I have gotten various error messages depending on which method I use to try to install.

My favorite was:

"Remove the disk and insert the one labeled 64 bit,"

This was from my attempt using the .iso file I downloaded from Microsoft.

I tried booting from the usb stick which is the original media from Microsoft and got:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the problem..."

This included the error "0xc0000359"

Finally, I tried to run setup.exe on the Microsoft media from within the existing Win10 64 bit install.

It ran but gave me no option to choose the 32 bit install and just launched into the 64 bit install.

I also tried by removing the original harddrive and installing a new one. Same result.

I finally gave up and ordered one of those cute little Intel NUC kits. I haven't received it yet.

BTW, I bought two of these identical systems(Dell) & both have the same problem.

I will further  research the motherboard to see if it is the culprit.

Thanks again - John

• 3. Re: Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?, Is it possible to install Win10 32 bit on an I3-4170 processor?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I’m sorry the problem you have and I hope you can have a good experience with the Intel® NUC.
              And for the motherboard it will be better to contact the manufacturer in order to have better information about the operating system supported.

Best wishes,

Ivan